Pick up my Ocelot shell next week! Have a couple questions.

Blr

Hello, been lurking here the past couple months while waiting for my Ocelot shell. The day has finally come and I will be driving out to Sacramento from N Utah next week to pick it up. I will make sure and post some pics up when I can.
Ocelot shell 78" 3 way fridge, furnace, extra roof vent w/ fantastic fan, aux battery, 12v acc plug, slide out for extended bed, wire camper for solar, yakima tracks 72", also having them build out some cabinets on drivers side. It is going on 06 Tundra Doublecab(92k) w/ Firestone airbags & General Grabber AT2 load range E tires. Hoping it will fit in garage, have 93.5" to work with, gonna be close.
I have several questions regarding things im going to do right away, and I wanted to see if I could get some expert opinions. Thanks in advance!
1. I have purchased an ARB awning to put on pass side. Ive seen both bolts and self tappers used for installing the track, looks like there is an aluminum strip that runs along the top of the camper that I will verify w/ Marty,any pros or cons to either?
2. Rotopax vs At jerry can mount?
3. Installing a "T" on exterior propane tank for outdoor cooking? I specced it w/ a 3 way fridge and furnace so I will have the onboard propane. This was something I wanted to see if Marty could do but forgot before my build was done:(
4. Mounting Renogy 2x100 w panels with pwm controller? My camper will be prewired so it shouldn't be too big a job, just wondering if it is worth upgrading to mppt?

Blr said:
4. Mounting Renogy 2x100 w panels with pwm controller? My camper will be prewired so it shouldn't be too big a job, just wondering if it is worth upgrading to mppt?
Congrats on the camper and rig. Sounds like a great combo. Regarding the solar, have you thought about the pros and cons of a bigger panel vs two smaller ones? Do you have a place to mount them that will not be shaded by the roof vents and such? Will the camper have lifter shocks installed?

Heat is the enemy of solar panels, so make sure you can mount them with some airspace underneath. PWM is good for most folks, and the Trimetric system with the monitor is a super good option. MPPT is better if you are at all considering heavier, solid PV panels. That being the case, ONE bigger one (more watts, higher voltage) is likely cheaper than two smaller, which will force you to go MPPT.

Check out http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13230-i-need-more-power-scotty/

Make sure you talk to ATC about where and how to mount your awning and gas cans!!!!! You may need to have some additional support for the gas cans, in the form of an internal brace added to the frame. My preference is Rotopax.

Take the ARB awning with you, including the aluminum strip that runs along the top of the camper. Marty will look it over and tell you what he recommends and you might even have ATC install it for you. Should be a quick and simple job for them at the factory. And, you'll know it was done right!

Unless you already had ATC do the extra structural support in the rear wall (frame) for a gas can on the back of the camper you might be out of luck on that. Ask Marty right away, like today... right now, maybe they can still add it in. Or, look around the forum for other options like using the jack brackets for mounting a gas can holder. Or, maybe you'll get one of the rear bumper mounted swing away units... spare tire, utility box, gas can(s), etc.

Hey Bir. Have you picked up your camper yet?
Enjoy the week and post up some pictures when you can.

Thanks for the replies! Picking up the camper in the morning and will update with some photos

So got home today from picking shell, Marty and the boys did a great job. I am very happy with the fit and finish of the camper. The truck handled the lightweight(867lbs) like a champ. I am looking forward to spending more time in it than just a quick overnight. I am happy to say it fit in the garage with 2" to spare(without letting air out of tires or airbags). I took some photos but i am getting an error message saying the files are too big to upload, and will try and get it figured out tomorrow.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 207
Congratulations on your camper!

Did you solve some of your initial questions? Is your ARB awning installed? Did you mount the AT jerry cans? Did you end up going with an MPPT controller?

Enjoy your time with it:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom