Picked up my camper last Monday...

DonC

Well, after several months and 50+ posts here, I finally placed my order and picked up my camper 4 weeks later. Thanks for answering all of my questions. The collective advise of the group was very helpful.

First - about the truck. I had a 2006 Tacoma 4x4, 4 cylinder manual. I loved this truck and planned to keep it a long time. I've never cared much about power or performance, I've always been practical, and wanted "just enough", and no more. So although a few on this forum have a 4 cylinder Tacoma with their FWC, I felt it might not be enough. I looked for a V6 auto, but came across a 2006 Tundra TRD 4x4 with 36k miles for $18k. It runs and looks like new. I got all the service up to date, added E rated Michelin M&S2 tires, air bags, and on-board air. I love it and get 19.5 mpg on the highway. I got 16 mpg with the camper on my trip.

The camper - I ordered a Fleet because I felt if something ever happens to the Tundra, I would never go up to size, so I wanted a camper that would fit a Tacoma or similar sized truck in the future. Given I am usually by myself, the Fleet is perfect. I got the Dometic 65l fridge, furnace, 2 batteries, solar, upgraded the appliances, 2 vents, screen door.

I picked up the camper last Monday and made my way to Lee Vining and camped by Mono Lake. I eventually made my way down to a night in the Alabama Hills, and then off to Death Valley for a few days.

After 40 years of sleeping in the dirt, on the side of El Cap and Half Dome, in -30 degrees on McKinley... it was heaven! After a long hike in Death Valley I reached into the fridge and grabbed an ice cream - the looks of others in the parking lot was priceless. On another hike at 8000 ft on Wildrose, it started raining 30 minutes from the truck and was getting cold, so I ran the rest of the way. It was sooooo nice to get in the camper, turn on the heat, make a plate of cheese and crackers, and kick-back with a good book.

I only thought a few times to take pictures of my camper - not something I usually do... but hope you enjoy the non-camper pictures. The east side of the Sierra and Death Valley are magical places.

Attachments

• Truck Death Valley.jpg
    Truck Death Valley.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Mono Lake.jpg
    Mono Lake.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Whitney group pano.jpg
    Whitney group pano.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Charlcoal Kilns.jpg
    Charlcoal Kilns.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Devil's Golf Course.jpg
    Devil's Golf Course.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 170
Congrats on your new camper and best wishes for lots of good adventures with it! Thanks for sharing the great photos. We'd like to see more!

DonC, it looks like you know what you're doing with the camera! :)
Congratulations on your new toy/tool/joy!

:LOL:

Ain't it wonderful! I still can't get used to hot water on demand and ice cubes in the frig (no need for a cold creek for the beer-real mixed drinks, now--ahhhh -this no running in for ice once a week is great-----great for us newly old ones!:LOL:.Enjoy-it only gets better as you slowly fall apart physically, enjoying nature becomes more enjoyable!

Smoke

Great shots! The beehive kilns with a bit of light painting look great and the dawn colors on Mono are fantastic. Glad you were able to use the collective knowledge of the group to make a great FWC/truck combo. Looking forward to more posts with photos!

DonC, it looks like you know what you're doing with the camera! :)
Congratulations on your new toy/tool/joy!

x2!

Back
Top Bottom