Point Reyes National Seashore

Nice intro, Ski. Ok. You all have had your fun with making me out to be some axe murderer. I assure you all there will be no more photos of me with an axe seen on this website.

What is it about suspense that drives us crazy?
You better have a Big Foot or something pretty cool in that camera, Ski!

Fun Report 3Pinners! Looks like you really need to know the tides before a beach approach to Alamere falls.

Oh, and nice Nicholson impression there Ted!

What kind of axe is that? Curious after reading http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59692-An-Axe-Seriously

Great report, way to keep us in suspense. Maybe you can tell me, are dogs allowed in any of those areas? We love the coast but have had a really hard time trying to explore with the pooch.

LT Traveler, from what I could tell from our recent visit Point Reyes National Seashore has similar rules concerning pets as do the other National Parks. Pets are allowed in your vehicles and on leash walking along roads. Pets are not allowed on trails. Some parts of beaches are marked as allowing pets on leashes. Other beaches are marked closed to pets.

Point Reyes & Pets

<snip> Looks like you really need to know the tides before a beach approach to Alamere falls.
<snip>

You are right on SunMan. Being relative novices at tides and rocky coast lines this did cause this cautious couple concern. One thing we did observe - looking down from above some of the short beaches had obvious debris lines of driftwood. At Sculptured Beach and the bottom of Alamere Falls there was no debris at all. We took that as a sign everything gets washed away. There was also a lack of escape routes. That tends to make us nervous.

At Sculptured Beach a group of ten college aged kids, fit, healthy, happy, came down the trail and headed north along the narrow beaches below the cliffs. It was approximately a mile along the cliffs to Santa Maria Beach. To get around the first point they had to wait for a retreating wave and then dash around out of sight. It made us very uneasy.

Well guys, I'm heading north of Pt R to see if one of my favorite beaches at Westport Landing SB is still open, late next week:cool:! decided to get those new rear springs for the truck! Figured if I had to go to Red Bluff to get them put on, hell I'm half way there, might as well break them in with a trip to the coast-Dogs are Okay there with the usual rules that most State Parks have, while the USPS has strict rules; the BLM and USFS tend to be dog friendly. Maybe I'll take a run south to Narvarro SP. Wish me luck that they will still be there!

Smoke

That couldn't have been me in the photo. I was in Monterey last weekend. Casa Escarlata Robles Too is my witness. Unfortunately Frank is not able to reply at this time on my behalf. But he did post that I stopped by his place so I must be telling the truth.

That's the ugliest Big Foot I ever saw.

My wife said, "Tell me about. I gotta live with him."

What kind of axe is that?

I wasn't too concerned about that. I just felt the blood red handle was convenient. Less wiping down to do. ;)

Smokecreek, we used to go to Westport union occasionally but have not done so in a while. Last time we were there much of the access road had washed away leaving much of the camp unaccessible. I would be interested in hearing what the conditions are like now.

Will Do Ted, the part you mentioned has been closed for a while but there are two regular campgrounds (supposedly closed for the winter-never was before-part of the closing by August part-I guess) and a place that RV's and some campers can use that is located along the top of north cliff that is usually open. Maybe it's all open again-hope for the best.

Smoke

Thanks for the report Ski! That was a great trip down memory lane (used to live in Sonoma County when I was young). We only used to go out to Pt. Reyes for day trips. I can't recall ever having camped there. A pity, since I missed the opportunity to see Wild Teds.

All, thanks for the kind comments and sharing in our adventure. And, remember I said that we are still unsure about what we saw that night..................................that remains the case.

Back
Top Bottom