Porch Light Mystery

DobleTraccion

Advanced Member
My 86 Keystone has an exterior porch light to the the right of the door.
How do I turn it on?
Feel free to rub my nose in the obvious.

First you must make electricity go thru the element of the bulb causing it to heat up.
Sorry just being a wise guy. My newer hawk has a switch right on the bottom of the light fixture.

I too have the switch on the bottom of the light... I believe the "main" switch near the sink also has to be on for the rear light to work... Who knows if it is the same on your Keystone or not though.

Kyle

the light switch for the porch light on our older keystone is by the closet door
just below where the thermostad is, just a black rocker switch

Thanks for all this. I'll leave no stone unturned.
Am off to a central coast ranch, and then the western Sierra (up by Mono Hot Springs).
"Pansy trip," as there will be little or any off pavement.
I hang my head.

Thanks for all this. I'll leave no stone unturned.
Am off to a central coast ranch, and then the western Sierra (up by Mono Hot Springs).
"Pansy trip," as there will be little or any off pavement.
I hang my head.

Doble,
Is there Surf involved?? if so,"pansy trip" doesn't apply:D

you will probably want to check a few different things ...

pop off the outside light cover and remove the bulb

check to see if it is burnt out or not

check the contact points on the light fixture and the tip of the bulb
(somes they get corroded or rusty over the years)

if that all looks good, go to the next step

some of the campers had a black switch on the light itself, some did not.

some campers have a switch on the outside light, as well as a middle switch inside the camper (if you have this set up) both switches will need to be on

for many years, they put a 2nd switch inside the camper (either on the front of the cabinets or back on the rear wall of the camper near the inside / back door area). This was used so you could turn the outside light off and no kids could walk by and turn your portch light on while you were not around.

If you have 2 switches, just try both a few differents ways to see if the light will come on

If all that fails, try checking the fuse.

The fuse will either be in the cabinets on a small fuse block, or on the older model it was located in a small funky fuse block way up in the front / drivers side of the camper (far front corner, I think they were glass fuses back then -- near or on the carpeted area of the upper step in the camper)

hope this helps

Thanks for all the info Stan.
Nice to have "the man" available for Q and A.
The Grapevine ate my radiator, but a good trip overall.
Tomas, it was pretty small man.
But the Sierra trout made up for it.
Posted up at Huntington Lake.

Attachments

• wstrngate.jpg
    wstrngate.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 266
Puffins, the catalog of needed fixes I ran into this trip pushed the porch light down the list.
She's an old unit, and I need to buy a bag of bulbs, fuses, fasteners, etc. and spend a full day tightening her up.
Will run through Stan's checklist and report findings.
BUT was as comfortable as ever and really loving the three-minute camp set-up and breakdown.

Back
Top Bottom