Portable Air Compressors

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
The annual DeWalt tool sale is on, and I just purchased their 20VDC portable air compressor. At the sale, they offer a free lithium battery with a purchase over $129. I’ve been happy with the DeWalt tools I’ve purchased, so hopefully I will be with this. It uses 3 power sources, the battery, 120 VAC, and 12VDC. The battery option was what made the sale.

I also picked up my first ever copy of Overland Journal. While I’m not impressed with the magazine (it’s just not my style), I did enjoy their review of air compressors. Their choice and value award was the Ironman Air Champ Pro, citing great inflation times, and a price tag about $800 less than an ARB.

After going through several that had long fill times or overheating and such I finally settled on the Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor. Very happy with it.

AWG_Pics said:
After going through several that had long fill times or overheating and such I finally settled on the Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor. Very happy with it.
I use a Viair 400p for the trucks, it’s probably like the Viair that was mentioned in the OJ article. I like it a lot. The DeWalt is just for small stuff around the Fort.

My Viair 300P is blowing 40a fuses constantly. We've gone through 4 fuses in one sitting. If any one has tips, let me know. It's sized for 33" tires, and ours are about 31".

I've heard to start it up before attaching to the tire's valve, then you don't get the amperage surge. I've just started that method, used once, and it was ok that time...

My Viair has never blown a fuse. My quickair2 (no longer manufactured) in my Jeep would constantly shut off. I got pissed and bypassed the safety switch thinking it would blow up but it has worked fine ever since.

I forgot to say we didn't blow fuses the first few years with our Viair 300P. It just started last year. Maybe there's something wrong with it.

rubberlegs said:
I forgot to say we didn't blow fuses the first few years with our Viair 300P. It just started last year. Maybe there's something wrong with it.
Does it have an air filter? Maybe that is clogged?

Vic, good suggestion. Actually I recently changed the filter. Let's see if that helps. I didn't even notice the spare filter in the bag -- silly!

One thing I've done (probably bad) is to put some water on the fins, to help it cool down. I didn't want to have it melt the nylon carrying bag. That's probably a mistake. There's some corrosion in a few places -- Death Valley does have salt in a bunch of places!

Back
Top Bottom