Possible Western Trip

shellback

I say possible as my wife has progressive MS. She will be 69 this month and uses a walker, maybe soon to a wheelchair. Anyhow I'd like to get her out west. I've been to CO, NV, and SD, but never with her. I have a FWC and would probably boondock a couple days, then hit a full service campground for a couple. This would have to be a sight seeing by vehicle trip, as she isn't able to get around very well. Ideally I would leave S.E. PA and run I-70 to Denver basically putting miles behind me doing 8 hours a day. Once I got to Denver, then I would slow down and "smell the roses". Not interested in big tourist destinations, would rather see the back country. Would probably like to take in some sights in CO, then move on to UT. From UT up into WY, then to the Black Hills, and probably home from there. More than likely I'd like to do it in May before the tourist season starts. If I hit Denver on May 1st, would that be too early a start? What would be some "must see" places in CO, UT, WY, and SD? Mostly interested in scenic viewing. It's real hard for her to take in a museum etc.

Custer State Park in the Black Hills is a must see in my book, as well as Theodore Roosevelt NP in North Dakota if you get up there. Check with Rocky Mountain NP for access when in CO.

Drive the Durango to Silverton "million dollar" highway, and into Telluride. Wonderful scenery from the road.

Valley of the Gods in Utah is a drive though and isn't too far north of Monument Valley. From there up the Moki Dugway and can cross the Colorado at Hite and head north and west to either Cathedral Valley (driving tour in Capitol Reef) or through the San Rafael Swell. Lots of places in Utah that will be accessible for you.

Some of my favorite drives.
  • Long canyon on the Burr Trail.
  • Buckhorn Draw. Located north of I70, west of Green River. Plus the Wedge. To see the Wedge she may need to walk 50 - 100 ft if someone is parked in the close spots.
  • I70 between Green River and somewhere east of highway 10. There are a number of scenic view points, both west and east bound. A little walking (50 ft) is required a some of the view points.
  • Hwy 12 generally between Boulder (west end of the Burr Trail) and Escalante.
  • Red's Canyon, drive north to south. See map and guide for location. http://www.emerycounty.com/travel/

All of these roads have boondocking nearby.

Crested butte area in Colorado is nice, but May is rather early for the mountains. Last year dragged my son (15) up to Grande Mesa which was beautiful, but the mosquitos were problematic. I second Vic on the million dollar highway from Ouray to Silverton, though I skip Telluride (too many people with too much money). You can camp along Mineral Creek just north of Silverton. There are some campgrounds there. The drive from Silverton to LakeCity is highly recommended, but that takes you eastward.

The drive through Paradox Valley (western Colorado) to the La Sals and Moab in Utah is scenic. Moab gives you Arches NP and Canyonlands (close).

If you did a southern leg, you could pick up Bryce, Zion and Kodachrome Basin then head down Cottonwood Wash Road though that takes you far to the south.

I think Great Basin National Park, “just over the border” from Utah in Nevada is under appreciated and under visited. We come in on 21 from Beaver Utah. Lonely road which is a throwback experience like driving the West forty years ago.

If it meets your schedule September is more favorable IMHO. Weather is more stable and the pests are gone (crowds and bugs). I spent 5 days stuck on Cottonwood Canyon Road in late May due to impassible roads because of snow and to add insult to injury, North Rim of the Grand Canyon was closed due to snow (where I was headed). It is very hard to time nice weather in the spring before the explosion of bugs. In Montana and Wyoming most NF campgrounds and a lot of commercial ones will not open before late May. You would have to check to see when Yellowstone opens; depends on when they can get the roads open.

If your wife has never seen the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, I would recommend those. The Grand Canyon has boondocking around the North Rim, although the South Rim is much more disabled friendly (and open yearround). Lots to see from your vehicle in Yellowstone and there is boondocking outside of Yellowstone. If you or your wife is not affected by altitude or vertigo, enter Yellowstone from the east via US 212 and Beartooth Pass (11,900+ ft). It is narrow and lots of curves but the views are spectacular. It probably would not be open 'til the end of May. If you go to Yellowstone, just south is Teton National Park.

I have spent a lot of time in the Black Hills; quiet and lots of boondocking off the highways. Again spring would be wetter and buggy. If you go there might as well see Devil's Tower also.

jim

Maybe Sept would be a better choice, I usually do the first 2 weeks in Canada though. Does the weather stay fairly nice into Oct? Adding the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone would nice, but I'm not sure she could handle the extra time.

I just got back from a month in Montana, September 18 - October 20. Temperatures were in the 50's and 60's during the day and nights around freezing. Highest = 74º, lowest = 24º, but a lot depends on elevation. Temperatures in the Black Hills are mild at the end of September with highs in the 70º and lows in the 40º. By the end of October the highs will be in the low 60º and the lows below freezing.

May or September, either Yellowstone or Grand Canyon (North Rim) would be iffy. I went into Yellowstone via the Silver Gate on September 29; Beartooth pass had just reopened after being closed for snow for a week or more and Yellowstone itself had snow. Two years ago the North Rim was closed for snow in May. Gotta remember that in the mountains winter comes earlier and stays longer.

jim

Okay, so I burn up the highway heading to western CO. From there I can head south and do the "million dollar highway". Is the "Four Corners worth a visit, or is it just one of those "been there's"? If I cross over to Utah, is Canyonlands or Capital Reefs a better choice to see. How about the Moki Dugway, is that worth the trip? I'll want to head north from southern Utah into WY. Any have to visit spots on the way? Heading into WY, is Flaming Gorge a good stop? From western CO to the Black Hills, I probably can spend 2 weeks time, I'll need another 10 to 12 days to get back and forth from home. Is 2 weeks a reasonable amount of time?

Hello shellback
Must say the suggestion's above are in my opinion are really good. I have been in black hills, ridden Colorado 550 million dollar Hwy. This was done in late July and early August. Weather out this way at those altitudes was beautiful, hot like summer is the more altitude you loose. Have not been there in May. You might google the temps in the area you are interested in. I've read that some of the roads (graded dirt) in southern Utah can be impassable and very slippery when wet, caution is advised. The south eastern part of Utah is beautiful, and there are plenty roads that aren't graded dirt. Just be aware some places can be very remote. Mesa Verde National Park if your in that neck of the woods. I've not been to Valley of the Gods, it's on my todo list, just west of MVNP near Mexican Hat Utah.

Having traveled from Vegas to the Black Hills area more than once, taking different routes. This route has beautiful scenery, compared to some I've been on. From the Moab Utah area I70 east to Silverthorne CO. There head north on Rt 9 Blue River Parkway. At Kremmling head east on 40 before Granby take 124 north. Walden has a couple nice restaurants. From Walden up to Laramie continue on 125, to 127, that will change to 230 in Wyoming. Out of Laramie to WY287 to 34 east just south of Bosler which intersects with I25, just south of Douglass I take 18 east the rest of the way to HotSprings that will put you at the South end of the Black Hills.

I'm sure y'all will have a great trip where ever you decide to visit in the west.
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hello shellback
Must say the suggestion's above are in my opinion are really good. I have been in black hills, ridden Colorado 550 million dollar Hwy. This was done in late July and early August. Weather out this way at those altitudes was beautiful, hot like summer is the more altitude you loose. Have not been there in May. You might google the temps in the area you are interested in. I've read that some of the roads (graded dirt) in southern Utah can be impassable and very slippery when wet, caution is advised. The south eastern part of Utah is beautiful, and there are plenty roads that aren't graded dirt. Just be aware some places can be very remote. Mesa Verde National Park if your in that neck of the woods. I've not been to Valley of the Gods, it's on my todo list, just west of MVNP near Mexican Hat Utah.

Having traveled from Vegas to the Black Hills area more than once, taking different routes. This route has beautiful scenery, compared to some I've been on. From the Moab Utah area I70 east to Silverthorne CO. There head north on Rt 9 Blue River Parkway. At Kremmling head east on 40 before Granby take 124 north. Walden has a couple nice restaurants. From Walden up to Laramie continue on 125, to 127, that will change to 230 in Wyoming. Out of Laramie to WY287 to 34 east just south of Bosler which intersects with I25, just south of Douglass I take 18 east the rest of the way to HotSprings that will put you at the South end of the Black Hills.

I'm sure y'all will have a great trip where ever you decide to visit in the west.
Russ
Okay, from Durango to MSNP, then over to Rt 191 in Utah. Looks like lots to see heading north along 191. I'd like to take that all the way to Yellowstone and then head east to the Black Hills. I can do this trip in the summer, just want to avoid crowds and extreme heat. We really won't be doing get out and walk,tourist type areas. The wife can't do that. But we do need readily accessible camping spots, either full service or remote. Is it tough getting camping spots in the summer?

Don't see why that would not work shellback. Have not been on 191 north of 70, but have been on it north of I80 at rock springs. Rolling plains describes Wyoming best around that area, you could catch Grand Tetons that way. It is a nice route in to the park, slow going in the park as stopping to photograph every inch seems to be the norm. Y'all keep you eyes open and scan both sides of the road, lots of wild life.
Defiantly Buffalo to be seen in YNP. Also in Custer state park in the south part of Black Hills. Have not had problems with camping or camp grounds. I will say that camping in Yellowstone would be schetchy. Better odds in West Yellowstone. From Yellowstone there are a couple good choices, Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth pass are definitely seen from the vehicle. 14A out of Cody across and over Big Horn mountains. Custer national park is not far and supposed to be real nice.

You Do Not want to be in the Black Hills during the Sturgis bike event, a week either side to be safe. August 3-12 for 2018.
If possible try make reservations as your driving, picking a campground close to where you expect to be at the end of the day.

Russ

I would suggest you see every national park/monument possible. The Four Corners area is definitely worthwhile for all that surrounds it. The actual site is also interesting for a few bucks. Southern Utah is like another world and all parks there are a must.

Ask yourself, how many chances will you have to do this again, especially with your wife. See it ALL.

CSG said:
I would suggest you see every national park/monument possible. The Four Corners area is definitely worthwhile for all that surrounds it. The actual site is also interesting for a few bucks. Southern Utah is like another world and all parks there are a must.

Ask yourself, how many chances will you have to do this again, especially with your wife. See it ALL.
I'd like to, but I can only be on the road for maybe a month tops, and 10 days of that would be getting "out west". I'm thinking of heading to the Black hills first, then on to Yellowstone. From there south to Flaming Gorge. South through Utah the Canyonlands and Moki Dugway Then over to Colorado, Durango and Silverton for the "Million Dollar highway. I'm guessing I'll have about 20 days to do that. Really don't want to hit the crowed areas.

Back
Top Bottom