potty?

flipskid

my grandby does not have a porta potti or a holding tank/pipe/line. As it is configured now it does not have room for one. On guy trips its not a big deal to deal with the issues. Add family and its a different story. Most of the time its crawl down from the bed, step over who ever is sleeping on the couch, bump around and find your shoes open the door, duck!, let in the cold, scamble to the bathroom facility or vegetation and head back. Its almost the same as tent camping in this respect.

i have one of the wet porta potti's in my boat, but i dont want to have that blue junk in my camper. I dont like it in my boat. Any of you with the dry potti's have any comments on how well they work? The best location, set up for a dry porta potti? I dont think i can squeeze in a door for the project. maybe locate one in a corner that can be used for storage also? probably need about 2'X 1.5' of area? that gives less than 6 feet for sleeping along the side, unless there is a lifting type of separation, and the porta potti is below sleeping level.

Has anyone came up with a fashionable, private, usable, porta potti in their rig? I dont mind dedicating room to it if it works. thanks J

This is what we're doing. http://www.rei.com/product/662980/cleanwaste-pett-portable-environmental-toilet

At night though we just use Little John. My wife uses it with a Lady J adapter.

Got your email about batteries and solar but can't see hoe to answer it from WTW. I'll answer it as soon as I do. BTW, I'm in SJ too.

I just use the Thetford potty on the floor.

Not the best arrangement, but for the midnight & (1:00, 3:00 5:00) P calls, it works for us.
Must be the age thing, well...enough said.

When you gotta go, well you just do it!

We don't have to go outside and that works for us.

~DR

Also,...I do have an original "Traveling John".

Uh, no comment. :sneaky:

;)

I don't understand the need for all these devices. Due to an unfortunate medical condition we are World Class authorities on this topic. At about $100 a Thetford or equivalent, there are several kinds out there, is so close to a normal flush toilet you may not notice you left home. Why anyone would head out with all the other luxuries of a truck camper and not take one of these is beyond me. It is certainly nice to have an excuse to go out and look at the stars on a clear night. But there are all those other times when it is much wiser to stay inside. We have an Eagle. By removing the end of the sofa bench we have our porta potty right by the door where is can be used without moving it. It can be used with the top down and back packed (packed carefully). This has occasionally proved very useful on a long trip when both service areas and bushes are no where in sight. My Amex card I might leave at home but...........

I do the wag bags plus a cardboard toilet in the Jeep, but thats only for space considerations. I too think the thetford is the way to go in the camper. Seems we're in the minority there.

did you guys raise it up? I have been really thinking about this:) I am going to remove the couch/bench/storage and the rear closet next to the door. I am going to make a folding bed/bench that drops down. I am going to build a platform that the toilet sits on with a lid that covers the tolet that can be integrated into the couch/bed but lifted up for access/slight privacy/stacking ability. The bed/couch folded up will allow me to pack way more items in bins or larger items to lay flat on the floor. I am going to make the front bench the same way. i hate having to take the bench top off to access stuff, it also limits size items where a folding out of the way bench will not do that.

did you guys raise it up? I have been really thinking about this:) I am going to remove the couch/bench/storage and the rear closet next to the door. I am going to make a folding bed/bench that drops down. I am going to build a platform that the toilet sits on with a lid that covers the tolet that can be integrated into the couch/bed but lifted up for access/slight privacy/stacking ability. The bed/couch folded up will allow me to pack way more items in bins or larger items to lay flat on the floor. I am going to make the front bench the same way. i hate having to take the bench top off to access stuff, it also limits size items where a folding out of the way bench will not do that.

Nice design!. Thetfords and the like come in different sizes so whether you lift it up may depend on the size you want. Ours in on the floor but supports the couch cushion. Do you want to maintain access when the roof is down? That might effect height and how much stuff you want on top of it. All depends on your needs. You also might want to create a small catch basin for it to sit in lest there be a slight leak. One time we lost a little from the fresh water tank when I did not properly seat the washer in the screw on lid. Got some damp blankets in the bottom duffel.

catch basin good idea! like a hot water pan or similar. have shop make to deminsions. thanks!

Solo I carry some litter and bags currently. But I'm planning to put a dometic portable toilet in the build (or at least a space that houses one). The dometic ones look nicer to me than the thetfords.

Does anyone have any advise as to which product is better, the Thetford or the Dometic ? I wondered if there is a difference and how I would go about find out which is better without buying both and doing a comparison. I wish there was some type of forum where info like this could be shared....... Any advise?
Thanks
Dan

A toliet inside the camper? Really? I don't s*** in my kitchen (actually not far from the mess kit) at home, and I am not going to s*** in my kitchen when camping.

CWD

A toliet inside the camper? Really? I don't s*** in my kitchen (actually not far from the mess kit) at home, and I am not going to s*** in my kitchen when camping.

I'd be willing to bet most of us, at home, keep our toothbrushes and brush our teeth in the same small room where we do the duty. So I'm not going to let a porta-potty in the camper bother me.

Back
Top Bottom