Power Roof Vent question

I don't see why that wont work. Keep in mind the FF has a larger fan and isucks or blows like crazy.

I'm almost sorry I wrote that.

Well that certainly speaks well for the FF:D Does the FF have a fan that c overs the whole opening therefore leading to its' proficiency at sucking and blowing?

The description is a little vague, but if it's a 3 speed, or at least reversible, then it looks like a good deal.

Fantastic fan perks are major airflow (but selectable to move less air, up to 6 settings with an added resistor), reversible, and low amp draw.

That fan is only a fraction of the surface area so you're going to get what you pay for but it should still move some air which is better than nothing. Depends what you are going for.

Google Fantastic Fan and you will see major difference. FF has large, multibladed fan with speed control. Camp World has them starting at about $125, less if you are a member. IMHO, I don't think the ebay fan is large enough to do you much (if any) good.

Great Service

Another perk from FF is their great service.... I bought my 2000 Hawk less than a year ago and couldn't locate the fuse retainer, called the folks at FF and they weren't sure what model was used in my camper so they sent two complete fuse holders ( free of charge ).

While talking about Fantastic Fans, I have a question that I have been meaning to ask. We currently do not own a FWC/ATC, but are in the market for one. We used to own a Hallmark pop-up where the top raises and lowers via a crank system. When lowering the top, the factory recommends that you close the windows and the door and turn on the FF (sucking mode). As you lower the top, the fabric material of the top is pulled in and there is no need to walk around the camper the outside of the camper tucking in the fabric ( as we almost always had to do on the Fleet that we owned during the 90s. I realize that the FWC top drops much more rapidly, but it seems that if you made an effort to slow down the "top dropping" process that the material would be sucked in the same way as it is in the Hallmark. My question . . . . have any of you FWC/ATC owners tried this?

Tucking fabric is not an issue on an FWC or ATC. Two inside bungee cords pull the fabric inward. Leave the door open so air pressure does not counter the effect of the bungees and you are done. It takes all of 60 seconds to drop the roof and latch it.

I have the bungees on my camper so i haven't tried/needed to run the FF while dropping the top to get the liner to pull in, but I do know from experience:rolleyes: that if you close the door an FWC is so airtight the top won't come down readily and the corners will try to puff out.

needless to say, we won't be doing THAT again...LOL.:D

mtn

I tried it once.

The FF just doesn't move enough air to suck in the fabric. I tried it once and I could hear the FF speed up with the rush of air as the top came down.

just a note

the warrnaty onm the FF is great, they cover the roof cover in case of breakage, also my fan works great, go for the Ff !!

While talking about Fantastic Fans, I have a question that I have been meaning to ask. We currently do not own a FWC/ATC, but are in the market for one. We used to own a Hallmark pop-up where the top raises and lowers via a crank system. When lowering the top, the factory recommends that you close the windows and the door and turn on the FF (sucking mode). As you lower the top, the fabric material of the top is pulled in and there is no need to walk around the camper the outside of the camper tucking in the fabric ( as we almost always had to do on the Fleet that we owned during the 90s. I realize that the FWC top drops much more rapidly, but it seems that if you made an effort to slow down the "top dropping" process that the material would be sucked in the same way as it is in the Hallmark. My question . . . . have any of you FWC/ATC owners tried this?

Yes.

This first time I tried it, I lowered the top too fast and it didn't work. I went back to the long bungies.

But then, the front of my soft sides came unhooked from the folding mechanism, and bungies can't help that. I turned on my fan with everything closed and lowered the top slow-w-w-w-w-w-w-ly. Worked like a charm.

I don't even know where those old bungies are anymore.

Another option is the Shur Flo Silver Series. I installed one of these in my Eagle. It will bring air in or out, It has a clip in screen that comes standard and not an option making cleaning easy, it has a variable speed rheostat vs 3 speeds only. I think the best feature is that the fan can be run with the vent closed for those rainy days. It is very quiet.

Jim

Yes.

This first time I tried it, I lowered the top too fast and it didn't work. I went back to the long bungies.

But then, the front of my soft sides came unhooked from the folding mechanism, and bungies can't help that. I turned on my fan with everything closed and lowered the top slow-w-w-w-w-w-w-ly. Worked like a charm.

I don't even know where those old bungies are anymore.

Thanks Mark - That system worked so well with our Hallmark, that I was hoping to be able to employ it when we get a FWC/ATC. I know that tucking in a few stray pieces of top material is not a big deal, but it is one more thing to do when breaking camp, especially if it is raining.

Thanks, looks like a case of you get what you pay for. I think I'll hold out.
That is precisely the case. I have a travel trailer with a FF in the living area and the cheapo fan in the bathroom. There is no comparison in either noise or performance. The FF moves a lot of air and is adjustable for speed and direction. The cheapo is one speed, one direction. The FF is very quiet on low and medium, and not too bad on high. The cheapo is very noisy and doesn't move much air.

If you can't afford or justify the FF, save your money and do without.

JP

Back
Top Bottom