Propane Compartment

Beach

Has anyone here enlarged/converted the horizontal propane tank compartment to accommodate a standard vertical 20lb tank? f so, where did you purchase the door and did you buy or fabricate the plastic liner. I want to seal the compartment from the inside of the camper, so the liner or equivalent replacement is a must have item. I have a 2005 Hawk with full galley on that left side.

If you don't get a better answer, you might contact The Metal Company in the Denver area (Arvada). According to their products catalog they do custom propane and compartment 'cans' of 28-gauge galvanized steel and have some sizes in plastic. The also do custom propane doors.

See pages 7-9 of their catalog....

TMC catalog

Contact info is at the bottom of each page.

Good luck!

Bought my doors off of either FWC or ATC. In the Hawk I also bought a plastic liner from FWC, but on the Puma I made it out of wood and sealed the corners with Polyurethane caulk and sprayed the inside with automotive undercoat.

Thanks Vic, I thought I remembered you did one but couldn't find the thread for it.

Beach said:
Thanks Vic, I thought I remembered you did one but couldn't find the thread for it.
Which way do you want to go? Plastic box or wood box that you have to seal?

And I've seen at least one build where they didn't have outside access to the propane compartment.... a drain hole on the bottom and a lid/hatch that used rubber seals on the inside of the rig.

I would urge caution on a propane compartment without outside access. Without outside access so that ferry employee cannot check that propane is turned off and seal tape cannot be placed on the valve handle, you may not be allowed to take the ferry.

One is not allowed to change the latch on the propane compartment to a locking latch in some states. Fire fighters must be able to access the tanks from outside the vehicle.

Don't know what the penalties may be, but perhaps the worst could be that while on vacation, you have to have your vehicle towed away or have the tanks confiscated if noticed by enforcement authority.

Check outside the box for potential issues not apparent to the reason for making changes to the camper.
Ask a propane distributor that can certify tanks or your camper manufacturer.

Paul

Don't know about the regs on a liner but the non locking/vented access door I believe Is a federal DOT regulation. I remember back in the 1960-70s we had a big hard sided cabover and my dad having to show the tunnel/ferry operators the propane valve was off and the door was vented and not locked.. Regardless of the regs, it's just common sense to prevent any leaking propane from getting into the inside of the camper.

PaulT said:
I would urge caution on a propane compartment without outside access. Without outside access so that ferry employee cannot check that propane is turned off and seal tape cannot be placed on the valve handle, you may not be allowed to take the ferry.
What Paul said is true. In my experience, at least in Washington state where I take ferries all the time, the ferry attendants will typically ask if my propane is shut off at the tank and I will tell them, yes, it is. And they will give me a card to place on the dash to show it was visually inspected. But, they never actually, physically, inspected the tanks. They just asked, took my word for it., and gave me the orange, passed inspection card. Maybe they aren't more agressive these days due to Covid. I've got 2 tanks in an outside propane locker, and two more mounted outside for a total of 40#. I think you're allowed 50# on the ferry without a lot of extra paperwork involved. The point is that there are these types of rules and regs that can snag you if you get the guy that woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. That said, I've never had any issues with propane on ferry crossings.

Rich

As to previous posts about the ferry and propane.
On my many ferry trips the question was always asked about the valve being in the off position.

I did have a couple trips I remember when the tank was actually checked and tagged and taped.

As said it's good to know ahead about this .Would hate to be turned away from boarding due to
a problem with the propane.

Frank

Beach said:
Don't know about the regs on a liner but the non locking/vented access door I believe Is a federal DOT regulation. I remember back in the 1960-70s we had a big hard sided cabover and my dad having to show the tunnel/ferry operators the propane valve was off and the door was vented and not locked.. Regardless of the regs, it's just common sense to prevent any leaking propane from getting into the inside of the camper.
Agreed. I was just wondering if a plastic liner is a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom