Proposed Dams on Wyoming's Upper Green River

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
For those of you who may have enjoyed our trip report on our recent trip into Wyoming's Wind River Range, the Upper Green River and Green River Lakes are a big part of that story. Wyoming is dealing with growing population and its impacts on limited resources. It is considering two dams on the Upper Green and water transfers over to eastern Wyoming. More information is found here-

Wyoming Outdoor Council

Well, crap. We plan to visit that area in September and the reason is because of the natural beauty. Green River Lakes and that square top mountain (can't remember the name but close) look to be some remarkable scenery. I realize that whatever dams won't e built before we get there, if ever, but why do we have to increase our numbers to the detriment of the planet?

It's painful to read about the Green River proposal. We're going through the same issue here with proposals to divert water from the Gila River in New Mexico. It's a never ending battle. Our former Governor supported keeping the Gila wild and free in New Mexico (it's impounded in Arizona), but with every administration change, and with the growing population, the issue keeps coming up. I feel like it may be a losing battle, but you have to keep fighting on. I sure wish people would realize the root cause is overpopulation, but that seems to be another losing battle...

highz said:
... I sure wish people would realize the root cause is overpopulation,...
That's absolutely right.
We can recycle and use LED bulbs and low-flow toilets and all those other "green" measures, and it's not going to be nearly enough -- if people don't control their breeding.

But...in the mean time we can try to keep things from becoming bad everywhere, which is why it's important to preserve the best places, even as a stop-gap measure.

In this environmental climate of wanting to tear down existing dams I'm having a hard time thinking that this proposal has much chance of success. I would expect the EIR alone to kill it off.

We did visit that area and stayed at the campground on the lake. Beautiful place. We met a fisher from Colorado who fishes here every chance he can because of the solitude. The fall color on the road in was spectacular. A bit bumpy but most best places have bumpy roads. It was be a grievous deed to dam the river up here near its source. We never learned from Glen Canyon.

Back
Top Bottom