Protection for East Fork High Rock Canyon

I hope its a good deal. There have been issues with some of these land trusts where they sell the land to the government for more than the agency could have purchased it on its own. I'm also a little bit confused by the wording. Was this land already protected?

I hope its a good deal. There have been issues with some of these land trusts where they sell the land to the government for more than the agency could have purchased it on its own. I'm also a little bit confused by the wording. Was this land already protected?

From the maps, the land looks like a private inholding that the Trust bought.

From the maps, the land looks like a private inholding that the Trust bought.

Yep-there was a hunk of private in there, surrounded by BLM, years ago (before the NCA designation) the owner wanted to put a road in, to do his mining claim-a short fight and it didn't happen. Most of the area is protected and I spent allot of years working in there, lots of great country, remember how high the grass got after we got the cows/sheep out! I always liked Yellow Rock Canyon/Conlon Camp area the best with all the wagon ruts and great views. Took years to deal with the horse problem at the springs though. Spent some good times in that line shack:LOL: don't know if it is still open to the public, should be though, BLM was working with a local group that adopted it-Since I retired, have not kept up with goings on over there. I wonder if they got Hanging Rock Canyon too, now there was a place and nice fishing creek on pvt land between all that public land-we also had a chance to pick that up in the late 1970's-but for some reason didn't :mad:! The BLM/FS does allot of work with these various pvt lands groups-usually they can get a better deal on in holdings and such and then deed it over to the Gov't. It really takes along time to get these area protected, minerals and grazing interests usually take priority over other interests. Take High Rock for instance, even though the minerals part was signed off over 20 years ago, and most user groups were on board, it still took years to get the area made an NCA. Just before I retired, had a group in the area that was trying to buy out all the grazing leases adj. to the Smoke Creek Desert-great high country, so the Big Horn Sheep would be better protected-don't know what happened. But that's the way to go, give the ranchers a chance to sell off and still survive, and work with the BLM and the wildlife and other groups and we have places to go and see our public lands (as they heal)

Smoke!

Yep-there was a hunk of private in there, surrounded by BLM, years ago (before the NCA designation) the owner wanted to put a road in, to do his mining claim-a short fight and it didn't happen. Most of the area is protected and I spent allot of years working in there, lots of great country, remember how high the grass got after we got the cows/sheep out!...........Smoke!

Great stuff, Smoke!
It's really cool to get your "inside the BLM" story on this and similar stuff of the area. :)

Great stuff, Smoke!
It's really cool to get your "inside the BLM" story on this and similar stuff of the area. :)

Thanks!-I almost feel like "a know it all" when I get carried away and give all this back ground stuff:p, so its good to know that some of you care about the history behind those names on the map! I guess most of us do care about it or we wouldn't be reading these posts and enjoying all that beautiful country:cool:! Let it snow let it snow let it snow:LOL:!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom