Prototype done- protective “Bra” for front of cabover

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member
Bugs, rocks, driven rain, leaks? Well no more! Hopefully.

Well the first Prototype is here and installed. Overland Gear Guy and me knocked out a Gen 1 Bra that went on in under a minute by me, a solo operator (wife wouldn’t help).

Initial impressions are good. Snug fit with full coverage of leading face, edges and sides extending back 12” or l so. Bra is secured by its own snug fit but there is a tie down on each side made of paracord that attaches to first roof buckle on each side.

It’s not perfect but great Gen 1 with only a template and measurement sent to Overland Gear Guy.

Refinements are needed to perfect but I could see running this in 2024 then providing feedback to OGG.

If anyone is interested I have pictures so PM me. I can’t for the life of me (and I work on people’s hearts) figure out how to post pictures on this site.

I don’t know about you but cleaning the front of a Grandby on a lifted 3500 is a PITA. This will cure a lot of that if not all.

I guess you're not a member of the fisherman's "First, Biggest, & Most" club for fish caught, either. :p

Each summer, I collect a magnificent display of skeeters, flies, bees, wasps, no-see-ums, can-barely-see-ums, etc., regardless of my fishing success.

Paul

ps. One need not have a lifted 1 ton truck to think that cleaning that panel is a PITA.
pps. Just consider having a WTW logo/link on it.

Posting pictures for SigSanDiego.

There must be a better way to add photos - the 500K limit makes no sense, as the website should automatically resample and increase JPG compression, which is what I do to post pictures. If there is a better way, please tell me.
IMG_0552x.jpgIMG_0557x.jpgIMG_0560x.jpgIMG_0558x.jpg

Jack said:
Posting pictures for SigSanDiego.

There must be a better way to add photos - the 500K limit makes no sense, as the website should automatically resample and increase JPG compression, which is what I do to post pictures. If there is a better way, please tell me.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0552x.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0557x.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0560x.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0558x.jpg
Looking good for initial proto. Looks like it also provides some water penetration benefit. Following.

I know there are only a few pictures, but if anyone cares to chime in with design ideas/improvements so next Gen will be that much better. I’ll kick it off:

1) Attachment/tie down anchor: maybe a brass grommet to support a bungee cord to first buckle. It doesn’t require much tension to assure not blowing off. Pretty snug as is.

2) There is some sag on bottom of bra. Perhaps cured with an internal cord that runs within hem of bra that is then cinched down.

Thanks for the pictures.

On the top of the roof the area I believe is in a negative air flow. It would be interesting if it would buffer up and down and be abrasive to the top finish or want to fill up with air. Need a GoPro mounted to watch. :)

Most interesting idea and has merit. I'm just curious as how the positive and negative pressures are going to effect it along the long runs top and bottom.

Airflow, flapping, abrasion. Thought of that too.

The camper does not have a camber like an airplane wing so I’m not sure if the top will be a “low pressure” area which would create lift therefore flapping.

I haven’t driven it yet but I hit it with my backpack blower (wind tunnel test. lol) and there was no movement at all.

Great question. I’m driving it tomorrow so I’ll listen and check where I can.

Yes to Go-Pro.

I just got on the ladder and hit it with 100mph blower from many angles, straight on mostly. Definitely could be tighter but there was no flapping.

I think the dimensions could be shorter specifically the length doesn’t need to be as long. Just enough to pass corner radius.

If this Cab-over Bra becomes available for sale save me a spot in line!

I think this is a great idea. I wonder if you could "enhance" the design by putting foam in it in the front so that it turns out curved. I like how Phoenix Pop-Up's put a curved clip on the front of their campers, I would imagine it cuts down slightly on the wind noise. Just a thought. I would be interested in buying as is, but I do envy the Phoenix design a little.

Ok. First test flight in the books.

On my way to go flying, it wasn’t 1/4 mile down my road and a “thump thump thump” erupted from above. At 20mph the thing starts beating on the roof from pressure changes. I pulled over and took it off (10 seconds. Super easy on and off) but Alas, back to the drawing board to work on snugging it down. Its a simple design for sure considering Rob at Outdoor Gear Guy had little specs to go on for design from me being in CA and him in UT.

If he had a Grandby, Hawk, etc in his shop Gen 1 would be coming to you with a way better report, I’m sure.

I’ll be getting with Rob and reworking. Stay tuned for Gen 2.

good luck with this. i came home through northern cal, southern or 2 winters ago, and we drove a few hours in sleet, snow, ice, etc.. made it home to pdx for the holidays, and generally shut down the camper. but with it being the first of the year, and wet, cold, i didnt get back and lift the top to insure everything was tight, and dry. by spring, i finally realized some water got in. a little mold, wet in the front.
a bra like this might have helped with the winter weather.

oh, maybe think about using some light neoprene material that is waterproof, but also stretches a bit.
greg

Sorry for your moisture intrusion. Sucks. For sure this type of protection would discourage or eliminate driven rain, moisture, etc.

The PVC vinyl used was selected for durability. You can tape the seems as well. Stretch material sounds great but may not be durable.

Outdoor Gear Guy will figure out appropriate material. Looking forward to Gen 2.

Sorry to hear this. If you can come up with a way to tighten the looseness on the two long runs (top and bottom) and stiffen it up it sure would help. Eliminate the gap, the easy way that air can get into the opening, but at the same time it is easy to install and remove.

Using cords to tighten, in long term could break and require fixing or modifications.
Using a stretchy material could require more effort to install and remove and over time loose the stretchy tightness.
Material needs to be durable to UV light being out in the sun.

I'm putting on my engineer hat and will have it in my thoughts. Let you know if the cobwebs have taken over up there.

I got lots of bugs on front of mine and have been too distracted to build me a custom air deflector to eliminate most bugs.

Rooting for you! Patrick

SigSanDiego said:
Ok. First test flight in the books.

On my way to go flying, it wasn’t 1/4 mile down my road and a “thump thump thump” erupted from above. At 20mph the thing starts beating on the roof from pressure changes. I pulled over and took it off (10 seconds. Super easy on and off) but Alas, back to the drawing board to work on snugging it down. Its a simple design for sure considering Rob at Outdoor Gear Guy had little specs to go on for design from me being in CA and him in UT.

If he had a Grandby, Hawk, etc in his shop Gen 1 would be coming to you with a way better report, I’m sure.

I’ll be getting with Rob and reworking. Stay tuned for Gen 2.

Random thought stemming from thinking about a windscreen type bug deflector.

Suppose a frame of some type holding an Aluminum panel or even a shaped plastic panel the full width of the front of the camper and up close to it, which extends up to the top of the closed roofline, was affixed to the bottom of the over cab portion. It could have cutouts for the latches. Perhaps better, it could be attached to the front of the over cab portion to give it a lot of stiffness not just from underneath, maybe using the latch attachments screws (or slightly longer screws in the same holes perhaps).

Hopefully this stimulates some other thinking.

Consider a V shape underside leading edge or similar?? to help vector wind similar to how car bras are designed but they typically have a raised area on top at the leading edge. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom