Pulled the trigger on a used pop-up

Foy

Resident Geologist
I don't do much of anything in a hurry. After being a member of these forums for a whole year, with regular contemplation/planning/scheming/daydreaming about what I want and can afford in a lightweight truck camper, I came to the realization that ordering a new unit in time for use in 2013 just wasn't practical in view of some substantial work my residence needs. I also concluded finding a used unit somewhere in the Eastern half of the US, where pickup or shipping wouldn't represent a thousands of $ or days-long investment, was going to be difficult.

I'd also been pondering a lightweight pop-up tent camper which my wife's V-6 Equinox could tow, so I'd been perusing the local Craigslist postings for a couple of months. On Friday, a pop-up truck camper appeared among the listings, so I drove about 75 miles east of here for a quick look.

There I found a 1997 Palomino 8' pop-up in good condition and at a very good price. She needs a good cleaning, but everything is functional and everything works. Came with 3 jackstands and a nicely fabricated steel pipe "cart" with 4 heavy-duty caster wheels on which the unit sits and can be rolled around on a paved surface.

The unit looks well taken care of and had been owned by an elderly couple who'd had it on a Ford Ranger pickup. I anticipate no issues in terms of it fitting nicely on my old Superduty longbed CC (while realizing I need a booster pad to clear the cab roof). I think some new curtains, new bedding, and a few mods will make her a well-functioning rig in time for an Elko County, NV traverse in 2013. Will be using it as an overnight bivouac for some Appalachian Trail section hiking as soon as January/February. One thing is certain, given what I paid for it, and what it already looks like (she's no beauty), I won't be shy about whipping out the power tools and applying some interior and exterior modifications.

So, here we go. As we so often say in the South "Be careful what you wish for, you're liable to get it". Will get around to posting some pictures one of these days.

Foy

Congratulations, Foy!
Good choice to not wait until later for fun.
smile.gif

Thanks Mark. Believe you me, your trip reports have been particularly inspirational. I very much want to get out to northeast Nevada and adjacent parts of Idaho next year, and now I've got a headstart on preparations. The old Ford will need some work over the winter/spring, as she's now showing 226,000 miles.

And "not waiting until later for fun" has been my M. O. for quite some time. I know/knew and am related to far too many individuals who never got the chance to really get out and about, either due to early death from illness or injury, or just becoming too feeble to do so. For that reason, I've been pushing hard in terms of keeping in some semblance of physical condition, skiing hard every winter, hiking, and hard-core offshore saltwater fishing, all being activities which one sees but a few people doing into their late 60s or 70s.

Foy

Foy: Good attitude! Have fun with it, and be sure to post pictures ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom