Quick release jack mounts?

MattC

Advanced Member
Thinking about making some kind of quick release mounts for the jacks on my new FWC.
Has anyone else done this, or have some thoughts on it?
I realize it's only a couple bolts on each one, but it would be nice to just pin them.

There's quite a bit of torque on those bolts IMHO.
When I was taking my camper on and off quite a bit, I used a cordless impact driver and upgraded the nuts to grade 8's.
That sped up the process for me.

Not sure had you envision using a quick release solution since the fasteners attaching the jacks to the camper must be of sufficient strength to resist shearing.

Personally, I would use nothing less than a Grade 5 bolt (3 radial lines on the head) which offers a proof load of 85,000 PSI (pounds-force per square inch).

Whatever you use, be sure it is alloy steel, quenched and tempered. I would only source from a reputable retailer, local or online. Too many counterfeit fasteners available online from unknown vendors and sources.

Personally, safety would be my overriding concern, not time to remove or install the jacks.

This subject was addressed 7 years ago on WTW. Note Stan's comment.

the forces applied to the bolts during installation and removal of the camper, arent really all that much

Some guys i have seen use wingnuts. one guy made a teardrop type hole so the bolt head slides in then you lower the jack and it pushes it up into the bracket.

IMHO the jacks and camper mounting systems are a real weak point in truck camper design. The jacks hang out where they are vulnerable which in turn can seriously damage the camper brackets and frame. Yes, the jacks can be removed with a lot of bolt turning but are not really designed for that. On our Hallmark that also means disconnecting and reconnecting the turnbuckles which adds to the work. There should be a better way.

The XPCamper has a nice system but that's because their flatbed is designed for it. I don't see why a slide-in camper couldn't be designed with strong plates on the sides that have a quick release connection. No manufacturers have done it yet except for EarthCruiser.

Back
Top Bottom