Racetrack Via Hunter Mtn Rd, Death Valley

Rob in MT

Thinking of heading to DV next week, although the weather looks questionable at this time.

From Panamint Springs we are thinking of heading to the Racetrack via Saline Valley Alternate, Saline Valley Rd (south pass?), Hunter Mtn Rd to Hidden Valley. Then camp around Lost Burro/White Top Mtn Rd and hike Perdido Canyon, Corridor Canyon.

There is potentially snow in the forecast, but are there any issues with these roads? We will be by ourselves in a Nissan Frontier/Bobcat, e rated tires.

Another simple question. I normally run these tires around 50 to 55 lbs. When people say "air down" (Racetrack Rd), is that to around 35 lbs or so? Thanks for your help.

If there is enough snow, these dirt roads maybe impassible even with chains on all four wheels. If the going looks marginal, turn around! Also, deeper, drifted snow can linger on Hunter Mnt later than the Saline roads.

Hunter Mountain is a high pass, with some steep grades. I am not sure if I would head up there if the weather is questionable, unless I was looking to get stuck.

I air down my tires to about 25-30 psi. But so much depends on your personal set of tires. 35 psi would be a good place to start. If I remember correctly you will want to maintain about 75% of the sidewall height, for driving around with the camper etc.

Only went over Hunter once, coming from Hidden Valley. Those grades were steep and exposed on the east side. I don't think I would want to descend them in ice or snow. :sneaky:
(Snowing right now in the Sierra foothills at 3,000')

+1 for Perdido Canyon :)

I have gone that way after a smaller snowstorm. There are certain sections that could be impassable. Keep in mind that snow clumps up in front of your tires and brings you to a stop if it is too deep. Last year it was minimal and passable during the day. Snow was soft. I have gone in the other direction when the roads were wet and icy and at night. Not so much fun that time. I love going that way however. Love the pass area. If you use a GPS it will most likely not lead you the right way to the racetrack. The park info even says that. Make sure you have the park map.

Did not take a picture of the one shaded area where the most snow accumulates. But I did attach a picture of snow up in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_0054-L.jpg
    IMG_0054-L.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 118
Hunter Mountain to Hidden Valley is most likely snowed in as it usually is this time of year. You could always take Saline Valley Road to Lippincott Road to The Racetrack. Saline south pass is pretty bad lately. More info here: http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/South-Pass-100712-6040807

If your goal is the Racetrack why not go via Ubehebe? There was some good storms this past week that may have dumped quite a bit on the roads in that area. Once you get to the Racetrack from Ubehebe you can go back to Teakettle and Hidden Valley and scope things out and/or do Lippencott or possibly back to Ubehebe. More than one way to get to your goal.

Back
Top Bottom