Ram Fan Forever

chnlisle

Post Master
This can be filed under Credit Where Credit Is Due. 2/14/12 I took my truck into my local Dodge dealer because I wanted the cooling system drained and filled and because of a suspicious noise from up front. It sounded like a wheel bearing but not as loud. It turned out to be the pinion bearings in the front dif. Further the front hub bearings were showing excessive wear. This truck has never been abused and all the required services were done at the correct intervals. Hell it only had 72,000 miles on it. The parts came to $830 and labor was $345. You can imagine how pissed I was. The warranty ran out 60 days earlier. I believe I was treated very fairly by Jim Click Dodge in Tucson but never the less I was out of pocket almost $1200.

I wrote to Ram Brand CEO Fred Diaz and told him how much I loved this truck and that bearings don't just go bad 2 months out of warranty. I further said I thought considering the factsI felt Ram Brand should, at the very least, cover some of the costs. I got a call this AM from one of the CEO's guys telling me that they are sending me a check to cover the complete cost of the repairs. My brother in law and my daughter both had '06 Ford Diesels. Both trucks were just junk and after several years and several lawyers Ford ended up buying back the trucks. Ford needs to take a lesson from Dodge on customer service.

Good to hear a story like this, Mr. chnlisle! Are you still in the old pueblo? I thought you'd be hitting the long and dusty trail about now.

Wow surprising. In reality the front ends in these 3/4T dodges aren't really that great when it comes to ball joints/wheel bearings, it's pretty common for them to go early from what I read. Also the stock linkage/track bar isn't that great, etc.

Yet I'm still a dodge fan. :p

:)

Best truck I had in all those years pounding around the back country with BLM was a 1980 3/4 ton Power Wagon-put it in four low granie gear and you could go anywhere! Only problem was the radiator was to small, used to over heat all the time, but once we changed it to a bigger model, worked like charm. As a side story, when I was over in Thailand when I was in the army in the 1960's, we had two Dodge PW's in our unit that kept right up with our tac 3/4 and 2/1/2 ton military rigs when we were out in the bounies-they always impressed me after that and who knows, may yet buy a dodge-if my old ford ever gives up!

Smoke

Oh, did someone say Power Wagon?
Another 1980; 3 engines, 2 trans and still running strong.

DSC00189 (Large).JPG

We have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, Long Bed Diesel that we use for deliveries.

It is just about to roll over to the 400,000 mile mark.

Same engine. Same transmission. Same differential.

It is need of some help now, but up to this point has been flawless !

We can't complain after almost 400,000K miles.

:)

Now we are racking the miles up on our 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel.

Think it is up to 110,000K already.

:eek:

Great trucks !!!!

I bought a '98.5 Dodge 24v cummins last year and I love it! The best truck I've had over the years. It had only 107K miles on it so it was in great shape. I'm sort of a gear head so I took care of the couple of the problems this generation of Dodge trucks is noted for and it has been bullet proof so far with 124K mi. Great power and fuel mileage. It doesn't even know the Grandby is back there. However, you can not sneak quietly out of a campground in the early morning hours. She does clatter.

Buzz

I have noticed the new Ford diesels are very quiet. Was running down the road next to one, barely heard it. Was impressed. I am at 78K on my 2005 RAM 2500 long bed hemi. Everything seems tight so far. Hopefully the front end issues are few and far between. But then I am looking for an excuse to put on a small lift kit, larger tires and front end upgrades to match. :). A failure up front would help me justify my desires. Darn Michelin LT265/70-17 tires refuse to wear out also. Not helping me realize my dreams.

I have noticed the new Ford diesels are very quiet. Was running down the road next to one, barely heard it. Was impressed. I am at 78K on my 2005 RAM 2500 long bed hemi. Everything seems tight so far. Hopefully the front end issues are few and far between. But then I am looking for an excuse to put on a small lift kit, larger tires and front end upgrades to match. :). A failure up front would help me justify my desires. Darn Michelin LT265/70-17 tires refuse to wear out also. Not helping me realize my dreams.

I pulled the leveling kit on my 2007 and 285/70-17s fit completely fine on the stock configuration, it was running 35x12.5s with the leveling kit when I got it and they'd rub slightly at full lock. Not a huge need to lift unless you're really wanting to.

Need and want are 2 different things :)

Was targeting a 3-4" lift for a bit of extra ground clearance but yet not get crazy with tire size, so I plan to LT285/70, trying to wait until the existing tires wear though, a real test of patience.

Take a peek at my new truck w/ the tires on it and see if you're wanting that extra height after tires, fine if you do. To do it right a lift that high is gonna be costly. If you want to pick up a little height you could put some power wagon coils up front ~2" with extended sway bar links and then a shackle lift in the rear .75-1.5" lift depending on setting. Could consider an adjustable track bar at that point but not mandatory. That is what I was considering doing myself but I'm fine at where I'm at for the moment.

Going higher than that properly done is going to require new spring packs in the rear, coils up front, adjustable track bar, longer control arms up front, longer shocks, dropped pitman arm, etc.

Wow surprising. In reality the front ends in these 3/4T dodges aren't really that great when it comes to ball joints/wheel bearings, it's pretty common for them to go early from what I read. Also the stock linkage/track bar isn't that great, etc.

Yet I'm still a dodge fan. :p

Contact Sage Carli at Carli Suspension. They have a number of products that takes care of most of the front end problems. And they are great people to work with

Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades out there. Got em on my truck. But shouldn't you expect a 30k truck to not need that stuff?

Contact Sage Carli at Carli Suspension. They have a number of products that takes care of most of the front end problems. And they are great people to work with

Yeah him and thuren make some great stuff.

Yes, there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades out there. Got em on my truck. But shouldn't you expect a 30k truck to not need that stuff?

Yes, the fact the stock steering has so many issues is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom