RE: XPCamperTrailer prototype**

Stan@FourWheel

Out of courtesy to Marc, I didn't want to post this on the XP forum.

(don't want to hijack his thread)

BUT, if he comes up with a non-cabover camper for a trailer, I think it will sell !

There is a market out there for that.

RE: SPIED XPCamperTrailer prototype**

It might be a little bit more difficult to sell as a trailer, not because of the design, but when you sell trailers here in California you need special permits with the DMV, licensing, and an "RV" sales licenses (these look like a drivers license). Not hard to get, just more hassles involved.

Here is a customer that put his camper on a trailer (to give you an idea on the possibilities of an XP camper on a trailer).

It has potential.

The Scamp & Casitia type trailers, small, light weight trailers, are a big seller these days.

See attached pictures.

Attachments

• RonRoach1.jpg
    RonRoach1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 137
  • RonRoach2.jpg
    RonRoach2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 171
  • RonRoach3.jpg
    RonRoach3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 157
  • RonRoach4.JPG
    RonRoach4.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 166
  • RonRoach5.JPG
    RonRoach5.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 170
I think so too. I took this picture at the '09 Vegas to Reno desert race. It was being towed from pit to pit by the white OJB.

IMG_0758.jpg

I own 1/2 of a utility trailer made from an CUCV pick-up bed that I've considered doing something like the above with. Our trailer doesn't look like much, but the engineering is there where it's needed. Obviously the current XP is out for me since ours is not a flatbed trailer.

Even with the cab-over design I think that it is a viable concept. Maintaining the flatbed fitment means that potentially any flatbed trailer sold by someone else could be used in this concept. Perhaps add an independent, trailer mounted accessory storage box in front of, and under the camper, for those putting it on a flatbed trailer?

Great shots Stan and Thom!

I posted an update over there before realizing there was a nice "RE" thread here : )

quote from my post:
there is a nice example IMO on what might be a nice platform for the stock XPCamper on the trailer idea. If you go to the "Custom Field Service Trailers" link at the ATC sight and click on the third unit in the left column of examples called the Custom Tool Storage Trailer, you will see how they could have a custom sized box below the overhead bed area (the example is full standing height). All we would need is four feet or so high for storage. . .

Fun stuff to ponder!

Stan, can you elaborate on the legal issues with trailer sales in CA? I'll have to look into the Oregon rules also.
THX,
The Other Thom : )

Hey Marc,

Can you post details exactly how the XP is secured to the flatbed? (A picture would be great too.)
If I had that info, I'd be willing to make a call or two and find out what an approx. cost would be to custom build a flatbed trailer to mate up properly with the XP. If we knew how/where the "tie-down" points are on the camper, anyone should be able to go to a trailer manufacturer and have them build a high-clearance unit to fit the XP.

I've become increasingly interested in this idea as a way for me to obtain and use an XP without also having to buy a dedicated truck right away. This would also mean I could purchase the XP that much sooner. :D
Given the light weight of the XP, even with the added weight of the trailer, you should be able to tow the combo with most any medium-sized SUV - thereby opening up the market quite a bit to possible buyers. With trailer jacks on the camper you would have access to a nice flat bed trailer as well for your hauling needs.

EDIT: That picture (and concept) that ntsqd posted has been stuck in my head for almost 2 years since the first time I saw it...

good grief, I guess that was the '08 V2R. Wow, time flies.....

I thought that I had posted after Accrete's post?

Anyway, there are FMVSS issues in building trailers for sale that aren't involved in building one for yourself. Going to a dedicated trailer mfg would be the best bet. Were I Marc I'd consider one of two options; either offer an info package that a trailer builder would need to know to fit an XP to a trailer, or team up with a trailer mfg to offer a dedicated unit.

Most trailers are going to have typical trailer suspension under them. Those don't work so well off road, they are too stiff. There is a lot of discussion about this on TOS, but basically there are 3 options: Longer leaves, torsion springs of some sort or other, and air springs. Most of the latter option are independent trailing arm designs. All three have their plus' and their minus'. Which works best depends on the use.

I strongly recommend shocks with any of the options. Most of the reason for really stiff springs is small ride height change with loading, but part of the reason for them is to delete the need for shocks (cost, complexity).

I would definitely go with some shocks on the trailer, if for no other reason than to keep the beer from getting too foamy. :D

And I would be quite happy with old school leaf springs on the trailer. They're simple and dependable, and fairly easy to fix or replace when they do break. Long leafs on top of the axle with a flat-ish profile would definitely give the most supple ride and plenty of clearance, especially when paired with some shocks mounted under the axle. (To get the longest shock travel possible.)

Marc would definitely have either option to keep the info and design "in house" and work with one trailer manufacturer, or provide the info in a package as you mention. That would be another way of creating some income for his company without having to jump into another manufacturing sector.

Back
Top Bottom