Rear door woes and a fix

BlueSky

My rear door got some water into the inner panel. A leak at the top corner I think. Over time the little screws that hold the panel to the frame became loose and would not tighten. Eventually the door became difficult to open and close, because the panel was sliding down in the frame and causing mis-alignment. I am probably not the only person that has had this problem. I drilled through the outer frame, inner panel, and inner frame and put some M6 bolts/nuts/washers at each corner. Works perfectly now....
i-KjC4Bsw-X2.jpg

i-7g9fs86-X2.jpg

I put vinyl caps over the nuts and screw ends. You can see the water damage along the bottom. I also re-sealed the corners at the top of the door to stop the leaks (you might want to check those corners). IMHO the rounded top of the doors that Four Wheel uses are better and stronger.

Nice fix!

BTW, All Terrain has moved to the rounded top doors. I believe Lippert is the source for both the rectangular and rounded doors, but Marty says build quality seems to be better with the rounded tops.

On my Cougar, the rectangular door was not assembled correctly in the frame. A slight repositioning of the hinge placement was needed so that it would lock easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom