Rear springs instead of airbags for the F150 FWC? camper!

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
Guys-Got question or a problem? For the last six or so years I've had air bags on the rear of my 1/2 ton 99 F150 even though I really can survive without them-the old 8 foot Granby and 7 foot bed with the tail gate down problem-! Well I've had so much problem with them-like blowing on one side (in the field etc), or even worse somehow the the thing blows up and the mounting comes off and drives into the inside of my left rear tire, wrecking the tire-three times now- luckily in town each time. Les Swabb has replaced the their airbags because they had to each time, but not the tires-kept blaming me each time and last year we compromised and they replaced the whole system, everything, well it happened again within a month, and I had the system pulled by "big O' and had some new helper heavy duty springs put in, sort of helped, but not as good as before-use my levelers allot more when i camp-sort of a reverse dump, when I drive down the street and I watch myself over bumps (tow hook) or in the back country. The local ford dealer has recommended a guy that will essentially turn by truck into a 3/4 ton by putting in a whole new set of springs and solve the problem. The cost is between $4-500.. and he has a real good rep! My truck in a 99 4x4, has low miles, in real good shape and after all these years, had my first need to fix it, a brake job-first major problem ever-question, should I spend the $, and keep on driving and make the FWC, me and my truck happy or go buy a new F250-which I probably can't afford-and would probably be my last truck-I'm 68. I know it sounds like a stupid question, most of my friends here, say spend the $ for the springs, and go that route, but they don't run around in the back country and tear up trucks, like we do! I just got my tax return, so I have the $ now, and I am leaning to buy those springs and seeing how things work for the next year, and if things go bad, cross the route to a new truck then. Sure would be nice to have a new truck, be broke and have no worries except for gas, and lot's of people would buy my old one, fast. I sure have a good truck though! Any comments, questions or suggestions:p! Or even do I have a problem!

Smoke

Hey Smoke,

I too own an F-150. It's a 2008. I also have "Firestone Ride Rite" bags on mine. Unlike you though, I have had mine on for the last four years and have had no issues at all. If I did and I was in your situation, I would opt for getting the springs and save the money on buying a new truck, using it for adventures.....gas money.

Good Camping!

Paul

Sure is a big difference between $500 for new springs and $50,000(brand new/diesel/etc)3/4 ton. Is the camper loaded full time? Is the current F-150 reliable and still capable & trust worthy of taking you where you want to go? If you really don't need a new truck and the only reason for asking this question is suspension then I'd say go with the springs.

There are threads on here discussing custom springs and those that have gone this route seem quite happy.

Many on here will tell you that you'll be much happier with a 3/4 ton and if you really needed to replace you're F-150 then I'd say get the big truck, if not then I'd say try a set of custom springs.

Many on here will tell you that you'll be much happier with a 3/4 ton

:D Like me! I have a 97 F150 and have had the bags on and carried the Grandby, never an issue with the bags, but I bought a 99 F250 and and very pleased with that. No amount of springs will make an F150 anything like an F250. You could spend 50k on a new diesel 4x4 long bed extended cab, or find an older 7.3 with 100,000+ miles for 10k. Hell, you said you are 68, why wait :LOL: Actually I hope to buy that new one when I turn 70 and take that social security that everyone else here will be paying for :p

:D Like me! I have a 97 F150 and have had the bags on and carried the Grandby, never an issue with the bags, but I bought a 99 F250 and and very pleased with that. No amount of springs will make an F150 anything like an F250. You could spend 50k on a new diesel 4x4 long bed extended cab, or find an older 7.3 with 100,000+ miles for 10k. Hell, you said you are 68, why wait :LOL: Actually I hope to buy that new one when I turn 70 and take that social security that everyone else here will be paying for :p

Guys,
I think that's my problem now, not sure about that 50K,ah, when you retire you are supposed to think about everything before you do it, I keep looking at the new f250 prices and say, well my old ford is still running good-but for how long before it is more expensive to drive it than buy a new one, need to do something before I start heading into the back country all the time again. Get my tooth rebuilt on Wednesday, might have a clearer head as to costs and directions with the truck' & springs after that, but this $500 vrs $50,000 is I think the main issue. :LOL: Been putting this off for a while, that's why put this out, get a few other people thoughts, so thanks-at least I have some options on this.:p Spending $500 is so much more easier of the other choice, and lets me keep doing what i want to do, but will I make 70-sure think positive, my dad is 88 and still driving his truck around!:LOL:

Smoke

What brand air bags were you running that where blowing out so much?

They were 9000 Replacement Bags, stock # 56142102, don't remember the brand, but it was one of the Les Schwab regular stock items. I don't know who was more pissed me or them, I hated to keep going in and they hated to see me come in. In the end they replaced all the lines and rebuilt the bracket, brought in another mechnic in to check everything-the joke it was always the right rear, never anything else. When they worked they worked good, maybe just got a lemon, but after the last time, i just gave up and on to the next step.

Smoke

There is a place in Santa Ana called Deaver Spring. They are fairly well known and can tell you what needs to be done. It is worth a call. Replacement, heavy duty springs were not all that much as I recall.

They do have distributors around but it's best to work with the factory.

http://www.deaverspring.com/

I ran a Grandby on a 1/2T Dodge power wagon and they built a new spring pack that was awesome. Do not just throw a standard 3/4T spring in it, go custom made for your application. They do it all the time.

~DR

Steel trumps balloons every single time!!!! I had Firestone bags on my 05 CTD dually. What a PITA. Leaking lines and splitting bags.

My new F250 goes in tomorrow morning for 3000# frame mounted overload springs for $475 out the door. No muss, no fuss!!!! :cool:

Another choice would be to spend $200 on a set of Timbrens.

good luck with the decision

mtn

Got my new rear springs-truck drove like a new baby down the road-must be me but she sure road good! Got them put on at Moore Blacksmith Shop in Red Bluff-sure worth the $499.00 to make my 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton!

Got my new rear springs-truck drove like a new baby down the road-must be me but she sure road good! Got them put on at Moore Blacksmith Shop in Red Bluff-sure worth the $499.00 to make my 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton!

Congrats!!! With the roads and trails we drive why take a chance on something susceptible to leaking and popping?!!!!

Here are my new 3000# frame mounted overload springs. Does not affect the empty ride!!!

IM002388.jpg

IM002387.jpg

Steel trumps balloons every single time!!!! I had Firestone bags on my 05 CTD dually. What a PITA. Leaking lines and splitting bags.

That is good advice.
Properly made springs will always be better and don't leak. Don't bother to re-arch springs, it will not last and is a waste of your $$.

~DR

Back
Top Bottom