Rear switch cover?

OutbacKamper

I seem to remember a previous post regarding this topic, but can't seem to find it - can anyone point me in the right direction please?

My FWC Hawk has a bank of switches near the rear door, below the fridge, for the rear floodlights, below cabinet interior led lights, reefer fan, etc. Because of their location, these switches can easily be accidentally turned on. On my latest trip, the reefer fan got turned on by accident several times as did the lower interior lights. Some kind of hinged cover would be ideal to prevent accidental switch engagement. Pictures of modifications would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

DSCF3698.jpg

I went to Tap Plastics and bought a small plexiglass box to protect the water heater switches in our travel trailer. Next cut down the box to a depth that covers the switches, then hinged it to a small wood strip. A 3M Command strip attaches the whole rig to the wall. Flip it up to turn things on/off.

No more empty burned up water heaters.

I like the creativity in camelracer's solution for his single switch but don't know how to apply that to the four-gang one. But it does help us think about similar alternatives to block the movement of the switch. (I'm assuming the switch panel in question is the one in the photo in post #1 of that thread).

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I went to Tap Plastics and bought a small plexiglass box to protect the water heater switches in our travel trailer. Next cut down the box to a depth that covers the switches, then hinged it to a small wood strip. A 3M Command strip attaches the whole rig to the wall. Flip it up to turn things on/off.

No more empty burned up water heaters.
WS; That sounds ideal. Can you provide any more info on the box you used. I went to the Tap Plastic website but could not find boxes.

Old Crow said:
I like the creativity in camelracer's solution for his single switch but don't know how to apply that to the four-gang one. But it does help us think about similar alternatives to block the movement of the switch. (I'm assuming the switch panel in question is the one in the photo in post #1 of that thread).

Thanks Old Crow - I did find that photo during my search - it looks like a great solution for a single switch, but as you say it would not be as simple for a bank or switches.

I like the plastic box idea. This is not directly on point but might give you an idea. I protected my solar controller with a piece of plexiglass mounted to wood strips either side. If you mounted the wood above and below, you could hinge a piece of plastic to the top one. A simple latch could be fashioned to hold it closed.

IMG_3565.jpg

I protected the water pump switch in our Casita trailer with a stainless steel drawer pull. It is about 3/8" in diameter and about 3" long. You might be able to find a longer one that will cover the switch panel.

Wooden blocks, above and below the switch bank, that protrude more than the switches might keep them from being bumped accidentally but still allow easy access. Sort of like takesiteay's protector but without the clear plastic.

I added an LED indicator by the switches that lights if any outside light is on.

- Bernard

We had the same problem. Installed a simple guard that keeps us from accidentally bumping the switches.

We had the same problem. Installed a simple guard that keeps us from accidentally bumping the switches.

Attachments

• switchpanelguard.jpg
    switchpanelguard.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 175
A bit of a side comment, but my 3-way fridge fan works automatically on demand, I have no switch at all for it. I believe all the Canuck models come this way, must have some sort of thermostat or heat sensor in the circuit somewhere. Anyhoo, I don't know if it could be retro-fitted to eliminate the switch all together .

I had same issue and put a cover over switch AND added a bright RED LED (see arrow) for the heater switch. That handle I bought would be too small for 4 switches but you might find something else like this at hardware store than could cover all four.

HeaterSwitch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom