Rear Wall Mounted E-bikes?

CPT Davenport

After years of scoffing at them and those who partake, my wife and I are thinking of getting a couple pedal assist mt. bikes due to the whole getting older and increasing joint pains. We currently travel with our bikes on fork mounts on the back wall. Anyone try to carry heavier bikes that way? The bikes we are looking at are around 56lbs. As the rear tire rests on the bumper, I'm thinking I could fab a bracket that is attached to the bumper that will carry most the weight. The fork mount just holds the bike against the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_2094 (1).jpg
    IMG_2094 (1).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 52
I found these and may be able to mount to the top of bumper for the rear tire? They sell just the flat piece by itself for $60

1.jpg

I see your concern putting a heavier bike in that position. I wonder if the mount you are looking at will support much weight though, since the wheel can still rotate. If it did, and your camper "bounces" up from your truck*, then the bike is part of that load path. But that's probably not a big deal since the wheel will rotate.

* I saw this happen to one of Wander the West's bestest posters a month ago!

By the way, I've also scoffed at E-bikes, but now that I'm aging, I see one in my future.

rubberlegs said:
I see your concern putting a heavier bike in that position. I wonder if the mount you are looking at will support much weight though, since the wheel can still rotate. If it did, and your camper "bounces" up from your truck*, then the bike is part of that load path. But that's probably not a big deal since the wheel will rotate.

* I saw this happen to one of Wander the West's bestest posters a month ago!

By the way, I've also scoffed at E-bikes, but now that I'm aging, I see one in my future.
Good point, and they don't list a weight rating. Also as I look at it, the tire drops below the bumper a bit. I think a custom fabrication will be in order.

We are not ready to give up our "acoustic" bikes altogether, but are definitely looking at options for longer rides. I think the pedal assist is a good transition to start with. If I go all electric it is gonna be a Surron light bee x. Those things are insane but then it is more of a motocross kind of riding thing and we can't ride them on many trails as they don't tread lightly. They are awesome though and would be fun on the track! :)

A word of caution if concern for aging joints and muscles are the driving motivation. It would be prudent to choose a mounting method that doesn't swap the strength and motion difficulty from one's' legs to one's back and arms in order to get the heaver bike into and out of storage position.

Jes' sayin' :oops:

Paul

PaulT said:
A word of caution if concern for aging joints and muscles are the driving motivation. It would be prudent to choose a mounting method that doesn't swap the strength and motion difficulty from one's' legs to one's back and arms in order to get the heaver bike into and out of storage position.

Jes' sayin' :oops:

Paul

I am kinda dreading that aspect of it all for sure!

I hear you, Captain D. We went to the dark side two winters ago. My full suspension Turbo Levo weighs in at 57# and my wife's step thru bike weights a few pounds less with front shocks only. When I was younger, I also did vertical fork mounted bikes and still have the fork mounts on my Hawk. I've done 1200 miles on my bike and it makes me smile every time. My wife and I do bike rides together now! Do it.

These new bikes are beasts. They are very heavy and I bought a 1Up bike rack to use with our 2" receiver hitch. It's not ideal at the back door of our Hawk and some folks have a swing-away option. I've added a 1Up ramp to our bike rack, with mods to move it from left side to right. I just hit the button and the bike walks up. I still need to use chafe gear between the bikes on rough dirt roads. Pedals rotate freely so I have to secure them with bungies and have neoprene pedal socks to keep them from attacking the other bike.

I also have a front receiver hitch, and sometimes put the bikes up front for more local driving from camp or home.
I don't like it at night for obvious reasons.

Lighthawk said:
I hear you, Captain D. We went to the dark side two winters ago. My full suspension Turbo Levo weighs in at 57# and my wife's step thru bike weights a few pounds less with front shocks only. When I was younger, I also did vertical fork mounted bikes and still have the fork mounts on my Hawk. I've done 1200 miles on my bike and it makes me smile every time. My wife and I do bike rides together now! Do it.

These new bikes are beasts. They are very heavy and I bought a 1Up bike rack to use with our 2" receiver hitch. It's not ideal at the back door of our Hawk and some folks have a swing-away option. I've added a 1Up ramp to our bike rack, with mods to move it from left side to right. I just hit the button and the bike walks up. I still need to use chafe gear between the bikes on rough dirt roads. Pedals rotate freely so I have to secure them with bungies and have neoprene pedal socks to keep them from attacking the other bike.

I also have a front receiver hitch, and sometimes put the bikes up front for more local driving from camp or home.
I don't like it at night for obvious reasons.
Thanks Lighthawk! The Specialized turbo Levo carbon are the bikes we are looking at. I see they now have an SL model that is 38lbs! I worked with 60 lb bags of concrete the other day and the thought of humping that up and mounting it doesn't sound fun. My buddy owns a bike shop in town and we will swing by this weekend for his advice and hopefully find a good fit for our needs. These bikes are getting lighter and lighter every new gen that is released.

Wow, 38 lbs. My first road bike was a Schwinn Traveler that weighed 39 lb (and lighter than the Schwinn Varsity back then at 41 lb).

Cpt Davenport said:
I found these and may be able to mount to the top of bumper for the rear tire? They sell just the flat piece by itself for $60 . . .
If you are at all handy cutting and drilling metal I'd just get a length of U channel (steel or stainless), width to fit tire inside.
Since most of the weight is on this platform you will need to attach and support it better than the one shown.
Positioned right the front fork clamp will not be carrying much weight.

We put a front receive hitch on for our e-bikes (we swap to the rear hitch on highways better mileage) for local travel we use the front hitch as we can access the camper door. A low lift for older backs)

I like JaSAn's idea. But you might consider mounting it to the bottom of the camper instead of the bumper -- if you can get enough purchase on the camper floorpack.

That Stingray -- geezer talk time -- our neighbors had one and I loved riding it. It was a blast popping wheelies. My record was 100 yards, but I had to accelerate the whole time. Since you were sitting over the rear wheel, it was pretty easy. I don't see how people can do sustained wheelies on road bikes, even though I used to ride a unicycle. We've seen Peter Sagan do them in the Tour of California.

I had a Stingray bike too, with a banana seat, sissy bars and caliper brakes. Now I've got hydraulic disk brakes!
The mullet on my Levo is a 29" front and 27" rear. It's taken me a while to get used to sharp switchbacks.

Okay not sure of year 1967? converted my old little bike with a 'banana seat" and high bars. ... Same bike I got in 62...no gears... "pedal back" brake

Lighthawk said:
The mullet on my Levo is a 29" front and 27" rear. It's taken me a while to get used to sharp switchbacks.
I'm interested to try the new tire arrangement. I currently ride a Santa Cruz with 27"s and also a Specialized 29er. The mix sounds fun! I do like how the 29" tires roll over rocks, roots and ruts with ease. I went to the shop yesterday for a look at the Levo turbos, and they do seem like it would be a bear to mount in my suggested configuration. They are having smoking deals on them right now! This leads me to believe that a new model will released in our near future. Heading back to the shop on Saturday to meet with my buddy and see if I can get some inside info. It is my assumption that the new model will be lighter among other things.

I would really like to get the full power instead of the SL for more range. The SL does offer a cool little battery extender that fits in the water bottle cage. This still is only 3/4 the range of the full power though.

JaSAn said:
If you are at all handy cutting and drilling metal I'd just get a length of U channel (steel or stainless), width to fit tire inside.
Since most of the weight is on this platform you will need to attach and support it better than the one shown.
Positioned right the front fork clamp will not be carrying much weight.
I like this idea!

I chose full power over the SL after demo'ing both bikes. In truth most of my rides are ~15 miles. I installed a 2000w inverter on our Hawk so I can recharge the bikes while camping. With the 700wh battery I only need to recharge every three or four days. The SL might require more charging time, if you ride a lot on trips. I have only a 130w panel on the roof and 100w portable panel I use to supplement our solar charging.

With the full power setup I find the extra oomph is amazing when in deep sand, mud or steep sections I would not have been able to ride previously. I feel like I have the legs of a twenty year old, with the wisdom of a sixty+ year old pilot.

I also came from Santa Cruz, riding a Heckler with 27s. It was the was the only full suspension I had ever owned. I rode the Downieville Descent and similar rides, back in the "good old days".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom