Rear Window Reseal

Flyfisher

I'm getting dust penetrating inside near the back door. One place it comes in is the back window. I removed the window and cleaned the dust and want to reseal both the plastic window frame to the door, and the glass window to the plastic window frame. I have used Silicone before, but not found it to be very durable. I am wondering what others have found to be effective for sealing these two areas. It doesn't need to be the same product for both areas.
Thank you for your help.

You get a lot of dust, heat and cold coming through the window area. I filled the gap inside the door frame around the window pane with spray foam. There's a good square foot of door metal with no insulation. I did caulk the plastic frame on the outside but I don't remember what kind. Very little dust now gets through. A better seal around the door itself is the next project. (I replaced the single pane with thermopane at that time and no more frost and little condensation.)

When I took my old window out, I noticed that the tabs that held it in place (Plastic) had broken. I flipped the frame around and reinforced it then re-installed. It lasted 8+ years and was still going strong when I sold it. Find out why the glass "moved".

Similar to kmcintyre, I supported the bottom of the window with thick rubber pads, resting on the door's inner insulation. I highly recommend doing this before the plastic supports on the frame break and drop the window down 2 inches as happened in our previous Eagle.

Since I had not put any Silicone on the back window (not sure about the factory), I cleaned it as best as I could and sealed the outside of the window to the frame, and the outside of the window frame to the door using black DAP Dynaflex 230. Really liked that it cleans up with water.

Jack said:
Similar to kmcintyre, I supported the bottom of the window with thick rubber pads, resting on the door's inner insulation. I highly recommend doing this before the plastic supports on the frame break and drop the window down 2 inches as happened in our previous Eagle.
Did you happen to take any photos?

Paul

PaulT said:
Did you happen to take any photos?

Paul
As a guy who documented everything, I just checked my files. I don't have any but may have been deleted when I sold my Eagle. It's not difficult though. You take the screws out around the frame and things will separate out of the door frame. You'll see the tabs on the plastic frame that you just unscrewed.

kmcintyre said:
As a guy who documented everything, I just checked my files. I don't have any but may have been deleted when I sold my Eagle. It's not difficult though. You take the screws out around the frame and things will separate out of the door frame. You'll see the tabs on the plastic frame that you just unscrewed.
Thanks.

Don’t have a problem yet, but need to check it out.

My Hawk is 8 years old this summer & I need to be proactive about some maintenance items.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom