Removing Adhesive From FWC Door Sticker

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member
How are you guys removing the adhesive from the ridiculous FWC sticker that they put on the door? I have tried everything and have had no luck, and am now starting to rub off the lacquer finish.

2x the heat gun. Any residual adhesive, spray some WD40 on a rag and scrub it off.

Most of the glue came off with the sticker when I removed it in warm weather. To remove the remaining glue on the door, I used a bit of acetone. Came right off!

Acetone will do the job but it will also "Open up" the paint. Treat it lightly, wax it after and it will be fine on a door. WD40 or Goo Gone is safe.

Zunami1 said:
Acetone will do the job but it will also "Open up" the paint.
Follow up question: Now that the residual adhesive is removed, is there anything I can do about the flat spot were I rubbed off the finish? I'm super annoyed at myself for being such a dumbass, and don't want to put another sticker on to cover the blemish.

FYI stop at a body shop supplier and get adhesive remover, that’s what it’s made for.

If you dulled the finish with acetone try a mild buffing compound and then wax it

XJINTX said:
Get some Goof Off handy for other applications too.
Be careful with Goof Off.

Goof Off is what I originally used and it appears to have not only taken off the top sealer coat, but also dulled the paint color underneath making a very obvious flat spot. I tried Machinebuilders suggestions above (thanks Machine), but the damage seems permanent and irreparable. A smarter person would have tried a small area in a inconspicuous spot.

Hopefully this helps someone else from making the same mistake.

Thanks for everyone's input.

coloradoclimber97 said:
Be careful with Goof Off.

Goof Off is what I originally used and it appears to have not only taken off the top sealer coat, but also dulled the paint color underneath making a very obvious flat spot. I tried Machinebuilders suggestions above (thanks Machine), but the damage seems permanent and irreparable. A smarter person would have tried a small area in a inconspicuous spot.

Hopefully this helps someone else from making the same mistake.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Nothing is irreparable, it just means you might need to go further.

I haven’t done much to the exterior yet.

You could try a coat of clear to bring the gloss back

You might not believe this, but I have used this product on several different surfaces to remove residual adhesive. What is it? Peanut Butter! I've used it on vinyl, plastics, sheet metal, and aluminum (and probably more). Just use a clean cloth and keep rubbing it in a circular motion. Something about the oil in the peanut butter remove the residual adhesive.

I'm late to the party but lighter fluid (the type they used in cigarette lighters) will safely remove almost any residue.

Back
Top Bottom