Removing an Eagle That does not have Trailer Jacks

Mr. Prescott

Advanced Member
[SIZE=11pt]Need some ideas here![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Hello, I am trying to figure out the best way to remove an Eagle which is perminately mounted to a Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4 and place it on my Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4 . It does not have the 4 side mounted jacks on the camper![/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I stopped at a shop that does toppers for trucks and he suggest he could use a fork lift to remove the camper, sound like a good solution I am just not sure. Oh yeah he is an excellent fork lift operator.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I was wondering if anyone has done this, also I want to add jacks to camper at a later date since I do not want it on the pickup all the time. Is it alright to use the permeate system if one is going to remove the camper from time to time / or is there a better system of mounting. The permeate mounting does not sound like a bad thing, I just want to know how much effort is required to remove the camper.[/SIZE]

Dave

Where is the fork lift going to fit to lift the camper? The overhang on the sides might work but the forks had better be long enough to go at least 1/2 the way along the camper to safely lift it. 4 bolts through the camper and truck bed will mount the camper, but when you remove the camper, then put it back, you have to be able to find the holes in the bed for the bolts, then crawl underneath to put the nuts on. Doable, but not pretty.

The use of 3/8" eye bolts and turn buckles works pretty well and is easier to install. Tork lift makes a frame mount for the Tacoma that makes tying the camper down a snap.

You should call Four Wheel Camper and ask them about this idea before you do it. This could be a disaster if not done right. Just my opinion.

DP

Campers that do not have jacks and jack brackets are usually loaded on and off the truck with a pair of camper jacks. You may be able to rent a pair. It is a bit of a shaky deal. It needs very level ground with a jack on either side at the center of gravity point. You don't say what year your Tacoma is. The composite bed Tacomas use two steel mounting bars across the bed as anchor points for the turnbuckles. The steel beds take four eye bolts mounted through holes you drill in the bed. If you're going to drill holes for four bolts (ala permanent mount), you might as well install eye bolts and turnbuckles as the vast majority of us have. FWC should be able to help you with placement of the eye bolts or buying their brackets if you have the composite bed.

I have a set of camper jacks that ski3pin refers and have loaded/unloaded my Ranger II (Eagle) a half dozen times or so from my 1986 Toyota PU by myself without any issues. It looks a lot shakier then it really is. Level cement and center of gravity are a must. Rental yards should have a pair.

CWD

Does the Eagle already have the corner brackets for the jacks? If the brackets are there this would make things a lot easier by just finding a set of jacks. The forklift sounds very sketchy. Good luck.

Mr. Prescott, BobD was not asking about the jacks themselves. He was asking if the camper has the corner brackets that the jacks attach to. As he said, if it does then buying some jacks would be the best route. Otherwise you will have to go with the cable jacks discussed above.

Back
Top Bottom