Removing Camper

Rob in MT

I use my truck quite a bit around the property, going to the dump, hauling wood (40 a of beetle kill), etc. Is it a major effort to remove the camper, or do most of you leave the camper on full time? Or maybe leave it off, and only load when needed? I suppose I could keep my old truck as a utility vehicle, but I wouldn't mind some $$ on a trade in. Thanks for your help.

I think it's pretty simple if you have the mechanical jacks and the drill bit adaptor. 15-20 minutes, tops. Putting it back on, about the same amount of time. If you have the cable jacks, to me, it's a pain in the behind to be taking it on & off. Two jacks vs. four jacks makes me nervous personally.

I generally leave my camper on from March/April to early December. During the winter it's off because I'm not going camping anywhere and I don't like it having a bunch of snow on it unnecessarily...

I agree with KC... although I don't have the drill adapter... YET. Our camper is off the truck unless we're going camping or have just returned. I use the truck for hauling lumber, firewood, etc. Right now I'm chipping ice away from the jack bases for a SE Utah trip in a coupla weeks.

I guess if you left your jacks on all the time it might be a 15-20 minute job as KC says. I don't leave the jacks on. I only put my camper on when I'm going to use it, so it's off most of the time. I load it myself and it takes close to an hour to put on, and almost as long to remove. I do have to install and remove the jacks in that process.

I'd say its a 40 minute job overall (removing jacks etc) if everything goes well. You don't want to leave the jacks on.

I waited around until I found a good deal on the truck I wanted, then bought that just for the camper. It's bolted down permanently now.

Putting it on and off is a pain in the rear and it can be pretty tough on the truck and camper after repeatedly doing so. Plus I have cable jacks and I feel like I'm risking my life everytime I crank those things up.

I'd say its a 40 minute job overall (removing jacks etc) if everything goes well. You don't want to leave the jacks on.

Mine is pretty much on full time but I'd put myself in the 40 minute club too, though I've only taken it off twice in 2.5 years.

Sunny's right about 20 (I have derringers) to 40 minutes. Gets faster with practice. Don't use nylocks on the jack bolts and you will save all kinds of time.

My truck would be damn lonely without her camper....

besides...how do you use it when it's in the garage? (we're heading out tomorrow for 5 days...)

My plan (once I lose a teenager and can leave home without fear of disaster) is to get out and about a lot more during the Winter months.

Have heater, will camp.

mtn

My camper stays on all the time. I watched the guys at FWC install it....it took 3 guys pushing on it....to move it into just the right spot. I'm getting too old for that!

I also removed my jacks. It is a good idea to re-install the bolts that hold the jacks on....otherwise....sometimes the holes on the corner plates get a little out of alignment....and when you try to re-install the jacks....you have to do some wrestling to get the bolts through the holes.

I put mine on when I'm going to use it, then leave it on to keep using it until something comes up where I need my truck bed for something big/messy enough that I can't put it in/on the camper, then I take it off until I go camping again. Basically I just let the need dictate whether its on stands or in the truck.

I'm also need to reinstall / remove the jacks each time. I haven't timed myself but 40min sounds reasonable.

I leave my jacks on all the time because I am a full time RVer. Whenever I need an empty truck I take the camper off. Still it is a pain. The hardest pat is the tie downs under the couch etc. The backing of the truck under the camper is rough too. I only have a little bit of leeway.

I too have very little clearance between my rear fender flares and the front jacks. I use this technique for aligning the camper as I back under it. http://www.where-rv-now.com/Notes/Separation Scroll down to "String's Wizzo Camper Alignment Technique". It works quite well.

Back
Top Bottom