Renting Climbing Gear

nebosllin

Hi, I need your advice on renting climbing gear. I'm planning a trip and debating whether to [SIZE=11pt]rent via ferrata equipment[/SIZE] or buy. Renting sounds convenient, but I'm worried about the fit and comfort of rental equipment. I've heard horror stories about ill-fitting harnesses and shoes causing discomfort or even accidents mid-climb. Also, what if the rental shop doesn't have the specific gear I prefer? On the other hand, buying gear seems like a long-term investment, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to a particular brand or style just yet.
I'd appreciate your insights to make an informed decision.
Thanks in advance!

I think shoe fit is more critical than how a harness fits. The harnesses I've used are pretty adjustable. The issue with nylon or whatever material is used, is its age, and how much sun (UV) it's had. But harnesses and ropes and other climbing gear are rated for big loads, and if you are top-roped falling won't put a big load on it.

Have you done any climbing before? It is hard to know what to buy before you've tried it somewhat. Is it a guided trip, or with friends or a club?

Are you doing a via Ferrata? Which one (curious)? Guided climb? With experienced friends? With friends at your climbing level?

IMO rent to see if you like it before buying. Getting a good fit shouldn't be hard.
  • Climbing harness' come in basic sizes: S - XXL. Give them your waist size and they should get you the correct size. They are adjustable and should be uncomfortably tight (for a newby) around your waist (like a waist belt on a heavy pack).
  • Shoes are standard sizes; I use European shoe size as they are more precise. I used standard hiking boots climbing when I first started out.
  • Helmets: give them your hat size. If going in cold weather you will want to put a stocking cap on under; tell them.
  • Gloves: I've always used standard leather work gloves.
  • Pack: I'd use a standard day pack and water bladder.
It might be cheaper to just rent their whole kit.
If still uncomfortable maybe get your harness, shoes, helmet in person from someone who knows how to fit you.

P.S. We expect a trip report.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom