Replace ceiling molding

bmiracle

I have a 2013 eagle and use my camper quite a bit in the shoulder seasons and always get quite a bit of condensation build up on the ceiling that I dry with a towel before putting to top down. I was thinking about replacing the wood/mdf molding with a plastic or non-wood material for long term durability due to constant exposure. I already have one section of molding that bowed out from the ceiling due to moisture. It seems silly to use a wood product on an area prone to condensation. I was wondering if any one has done this or know what it's attached to. Looks to be stapled on with a finish stapler. Any thoughts?

I too have given this some thought, though have not replaced them yet. Plastic would need to be screwed in place with unsightly finishing washers or heads showing. I'm thinking of replacing with wood but using a low viscosity epoxy saturation which effectively makes plastic from the wood. There are numerous manufacturers, Smiths, West Systems.... The fastening characteristics would be the same as wood.

Interesting. Our ATC Ocelot does not build up much condensation on the non-fabric ceiling parts, definitely some frost and wet, but nothing too heavy. I leave the vent open an inch or so, so maybe that is the difference?

If you are in near freezing conditions and 100% humidity, you have extreme humidity I don't care how much ventilation or how little heat. I don't care if you are in a FWC or an Airstream you have condensation.

Just replaced some strips on mine. I predrilled screw holes in the strips, held them in place and drilled the hole in the aluminum frame. I used a stop collar on the drill bit to limit penetration in case there were any wires running inside the frames. I went with flat head stainless screws. I might redo with plastic screw caps later. You can get the strips from FWC or some Lowes or Home depot stores carry them in plastic.

If you keep the interior temperature of the camper -- especially the surfaces of the camper -- above the dew point of the air in the camper you won't have condensation. But since those wooden strips are attached to the frame and the aluminum frame is a good conductor of heat -- to the outdoors, those strips will tend to be quite a bit colder than the camper air, so will "attract" condensation.

I've noticed a couple of my molding strips on my camper ceiling detaching -- and bowing down -- in a couple of spots, but it didn't occur to me that this could be due to expansion of the wood from moisture. I figured it was just the staples/whatever failing due to time...but water-expansion makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom