Replace truck back window so it opens?

Canyon

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I recently bought a new Super Duty truck with a fixed glass rear window, because my lowly trim level doesn't seem to be made with anything else. I'm getting a camper with a sliding front window, which will face the fixed glass on the truck.

Any opinions on whether I should consider replacing the truck's back window with one that has sliding glass? Do you use the pass-through between the truck and camper?

Would it be as simple as getting an auto glass place to install a CR Laurence window? Any experience with doing that?

Thanks much!

I would be interested in the answer to that. Looking at Super Duty and even if you get the sliding window it is really small..... at least the one I saw.

I'd suggest you go do your camping trip once or twice to see if you EVER had the need to use a pass-through. I had one on my Lance and my F-250 came with one and I don't believe I EVER found a need for it. You should not be riding anyone in the camper on the road (illegal) except a dog and then when driving you'd be subject to the elements, dust, dirt and such blowing into the truck and camper.

When I had my 8' NCO, my F-150 had the opening window and I never wished the AK had a slider set up. My shell has a slider in it and it would be good if I had a dog(s) riding in the back but I have an extended cab and if I had dogs, I'd keep them there I think, not sliding around in the truck bed.

So...like I said, you can always add a slider rear window to the truck if you find you NEED one.

Oh yeah...I think McGuyver might have rigged up some flexible ducting and put the end in the camper and the other duct taped over a dashboard AC vent to try to cool down the camper while on the happy highway, but you'd need to box off the pass through to keep the engine heat from killing the AC in both the truck and the camper....probably works on TV but questionable if you've be freezing in the truck and still not cooling the camper...

That's why they call it "Roughing It" I guess!

The only time we use our sliding truck window is when one of the dogs passes deadly gas. On a camper, it's my belief a slider is just a potential leak waiting to happen.

Think of it this way. Your camper has a nice little ventilation window you can leave open even when the camper is secured Leave it at that..

In many years of having my FWC on my truck, I've never once used the window to get into the camper BUT I do like to open it for airflow. I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't get the sliding window (if it's an option) on the camper but I would get it on a truck, especially if you have a 4 door truck - get an electric version as you can't reach back there to open/close it.

Actually we have the front window type with the two clips (2011 Eagle) so one needs to remove the front window and then open the rear sliding truck window. I like to do that on a rainy day or night ...no need to get out of camper to get something in the back seat of truck. If you have a dog its nice to be able (especially when she is wet... to put her in the back seat and she feels connected to us ...we can feed her or scratch the ear. I made a foam solar fits between the cab and camper though an inner tube inflated does the same thing... keeps bugs out or other small critters. We also put all the bulky stuff in the back seat of the truck ...just shove it through out of the way. Works for us... use every square inch available!

PS always blame the dog for those barking spiders!

I have a Ram 2500 standard cab with a pass through back window. Too small for me to get through without great difficulty. Only uses I have for it is for ventilation when parked. With the camper on it is secure and sheltered; no one can get in through it and no rain can get in unless with high winds. I also fitted a 12 volt fan for that window that keeps the cab cool for the pup when I must leave him there for a short while. I find it noisy and dusty when driving with it open.

I do know a couple of guys that took out both the rear cab window and front camper window and installed a boot. It is awkward but one can crawl or reach through to get something in the cab.

jim

Thanks so much everyone for the thoughts!! I had imagined using the pass-through only when stopped, to be able to reach into the cab. I'm no McGuyver, so air conditioning ducts and pass-through boots are not on the menu. So far, I don't have a dog, although the barking spiders and deadly gas make me want to reconsider!

Happijax, I agree the electric windows look really small. I was looking at a manual slider that I think might be bigger.

JaSAn said:
I do know a couple of guys that took out both the rear cab window and front camper window and installed a boot. It is awkward but one can crawl or reach through to get something in the cab.
Hey JaSAn,
Do you have any pictures or other information on people who have done this?

My thoughts on the sliding rear window revolve around emergencies. Say bear or human attack on the camper. crawl through and drive away. Not a likely scenario but who knows. My new truck has a full electric up and down sliding window that's much bigger than the removable camper window. Not a good option for any kind of boot. I've thought about digging into the wiring and rigging a switch that would allow me to open it from the camper just in case. I haven't pursued it yet though. Maybe never.

One of the last things I've gotten accomplished on my Moon Truck (stalled at the moment) project is installing a conventional slider in the rear. They are cheap and not that hard to install.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10588-the-moon-truck/page-11

Don't forget the inner tube option. Just start inflating until slightly snug then shift it around to form the seal ...not fancy but works. the thing is to find the right one or the job....took me awhile ...eventually used a tractor front tire inner tube (Kubota) I think 22". I do not leave it in while driving but I could (just to noisy)

buckland said:
Don't forget the inner tube option. Just start inflating until slightly snug then shift it around to form the seal ...not fancy but works. the thing is to find the right one or the job....took me awhile ...eventually used a tractor front tire inner tube (Kubota) I think 22". I do not leave it in while driving but I could (just to noisy)
The only issue I've seen with this method is that it'll wear down your paint as it rubs on the truck.

Squatch said:
My thoughts on the sliding rear window revolve around emergencies. Say bear or human attack on the camper. crawl through and drive away. Not a likely scenario but who knows.
Totally agree. Even though we camp with a (cough-cough) 15-rounds-in-the-clip 9mm deterrent I have less than zero interest in using it. (I'm a lover, not a fighter.) MUCH better to be able to safely drive away! (And do so without having to exit from the relative safety of your camper.)

buckland said:
Jason what 12 volt fan do you use?
It's a cheap truck cab fan picked up at Walmart for ~$9. It came with a clamp that one could attach to the rear window. I removed the clamp and made a plywood mount that fits in the rear window to attach the fan to.

azcamper said:
Hey JaSAn,
Do you have any pictures or other information on people who have done this?
Sorry, I do not. I will be seeing one of the guys when I go up to Winnie after fishing opener. I'll try to remember to ask him. IIRC it was a purchased item.

Squatch said:
My thoughts on the sliding rear window revolve around emergencies. Say bear or human attack on the camper. crawl through and drive away . . .

My rear truck window is 11" X 15" <19" diagonal. My shoulders are ~20" across. The last thing I would want is to be stuck half way through when a bear or human comes charging in. If it is that much of an emergency to drive away I would kick the windows out. Won't have much time if a bear is trying to get in.

Durango1 said:
Totally agree. Even though we camp with a (cough-cough) 15-rounds-in-the-clip 9mm deterrent . . .
9mm isn't going to slow a bear down much. To appropriate one of Col. Coopers quotes: ". . . if you shoot him and he finds out about it, he's going to be really, really mad."

jim

Squatch said:
My thoughts on the sliding rear window revolve around emergencies. Say bear or human attack on the camper. crawl through and drive away. Not a likely scenario but who knows. My new truck has a full electric up and down sliding window that's much bigger than the removable camper window. Not a good option for any kind of boot. I've thought about digging into the wiring and rigging a switch that would allow me to open it from the camper just in case. I haven't pursued it yet though. Maybe never.

One of the last things I've gotten accomplished on my Moon Truck (stalled at the moment) project is installing a conventional slider in the rear. They are cheap and not that hard to install.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10588-the-moon-truck/page-11
I never thought of that, but now I'm interested. Really like the window on the moon truck.

JaSAn said:
My rear truck window is 11" X 15" <19" diagonal. My shoulders are ~20" across...

To appropriate one of Col. Coopers quotes: ". . . if you shoot him and he finds out about it, he's going to be really, really mad."

I'll pay attention to the window size, although I suppose being a gal helps here. LOVE the bear quote.

A rear sliding window was great before the advent of double and crew cabs. It was great to be able to slide the window open while driving down the road for extra ventilation. My last few trucks have been double cabs and it's impossible to reach behind you to open the window, plus I have power rear windows whenever I feel the need for more air. My Hawk has a front slider and the only time it came in handy was when my friend accidentally locked the keys in the truck. I was barely able to squeeze through both sliders to retrieve my keys. I had a rear sliding window replaced on my 2003 Tundra and the glass shop said the rear window assembly alone was around $500.00. I don't think it would be worth it to me to install one if I didn't have one.

Back
Top Bottom