Replacement propane door latch

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa
The little rubber O ring in the latch on the propane compartment of my Eagle split and now the latch will still close but the door is a little loose. I emailed FWC to see if I could get the mfgr and part # of the latch a few weeks ago but never got a reply. Has anyone had to replace theirs?

And I'm not talking about a lockable one, just an OEM replacement.

Thanks.

I don't have an answer but I NEED to replace mine, too, so I'm interested in the topic.
My propane compartment door latch has been loose and funky for several years...occasionally will swing open while driving and I don't know it until I stop and walk behind the rig.

Most recently: Driving between 29 Palms and Joshua Tree (town) on 62 I heard the bleep of a siren and saw red and blue lights in my rear view mirror. A CHP SUV pulled me over. "What did I do?! :unsure: I know I wasn't speeding!", I thought to myself, nervously, as I pulled my DL from my wallet. The officer (a very short female -- but that doesn't matter) walked up to my passenger side window and told me: "Sir, your propane compartment door is open. Please secure it." Whew! NOT busted. Of course, there was no real danger since the tank is bolted down, but I guess it looks bad.

In my case the thin metal of the door itself is wearing and stretching around the latch. Ideally I'd replace the whole door.

If it was just the latch I would recommend Bend Lock and Key. But, the door itself is another kettle of fish. If you strike out on this page, I know a good metal shop that might be good resource for fabricating a new door out of aluminum.

Stalking Light said:
I don't need a new door, just a non locking latch. I wish I was closer to Bend than I am. ;)
Any good locksmith/shop should be the ticket....?

My local RV dealer carriers locking and non locking. They look identical to what FWC is using. I think they are pretty standard parts that you should be able to pick up at most RV dealers.

If I recall the non locking type were around $5.

Stalking Light said:
The little rubber O ring in the latch on the propane compartment of my Eagle split and now the latch will still close but the door is a little loose. I emailed FWC to see if I could get the mfgr and part # of the latch a few weeks ago but never got a reply. Has anyone had to replace theirs?

And I'm not talking about a lockable one, just an OEM replacement.

Thanks.

Perhaps I am not reading this correctly judged by the other answers you have gotten...BUT you only need a new 'o-ring' to snug up the latch...

Go to the closest compressed gas company [oxygen,air, acetylene, etc] near you...take in the busted o-ring...they have a wide assortment of o-rings and they are inexpensive...

Taking the latch apart to replace the busted o-ring should be very simple..

Phil

I understand I could just replace the o ring but wanted to find a source for the entire latch. It would be easier to replace the whole thing rather than take the current one out, disassemble it, and then put it back in. If I was looking for a project I'd do it that way but I'm not. The latch still keeps the door closed so it's not a big priority, was just curious if someone knew of a source.

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

+2 with Charlie. It is against the law in most states to lock the propane compartment. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

That's insane! :oops:
Controlled propane security makes much more sense than easy access. Especially when the door to it is plastic.

Bombsight said:
That's insane! :oops:
Controlled propane security makes much more sense than easy access. Especially when the door to it is plastic.

Any fire inside or outside requires that you quickly shut off propane [hence no lock]...otherwise at best it will feed fire and at worst it can go "boom". Bike cable lock through handles still allows quick access to shut off tank valve if on....or if required you can pull out both tanks at once...

Priced a new 2.5 gallon propane tank like in my '16 Hawk...$65.

Phil

ok .... I understand now. With that in mind, seems as though a place (Eye bolt or something) to run the bike cable through, should be installed within the propane cabinet. My main concern is still sabotage/theft over malfunction of tanks/regulator.

I have installed an "eye" bolt a long time ago and use a short piece of chain with padlock.
I think also that it is not legal to have a locked door.
I know of the Alaskan ferry that's one thing they ask about your propane.
Frank

Bombsight said:
ok .... I understand now. With that in mind, seems as though a place (Eye bolt or something) to run the bike cable through, should be installed within the propane cabinet. My main concern is still sabotage/theft over malfunction of tanks/regulator.

Theft is unfortunately a real problem depending on where you park your FWC...bummer, but sign of the times I guess. Honestly a bike cable is only a modest security device at best...and again if you "anchor the bottles in" it will take time to undo the cable to get them out...still you can shut them off with a cable anchored in place...my idea of just cabling them together so that the thief must pull both out at once was similar to cabling your front motorcycle wheel to the frame...ya gotta take it all to steal it or cut the cable.

Personally we always turn off the propane at the bottles when we are not using the camper or on the move...just makes us a lot more comfortable...a leak over time and an accumulation of propane inside our Hawk could lead to a very rude surprise. And if a thief cut the rubber line to get the bottle out; gas would not escape.

If someone steals our bottles I will pop for new ones; again theft is a possibility but I wonder how many FWCs have had the propane tanks stolen...especially when most are used like we do, off road and away from urban areas..

Phil

I always turn off my propane when traveling as well, and having been in a rollover accident towing an offroad trailer with two propane bottles made me even more aware of that.

Back
Top Bottom