Replacing 3 way Fridge with 12v

Resqman911

I have read a few threads of people replacing their 3 way with a 12v compressor and was wondering if anyone thats done it could give me a little info on the removal and instal process. Pretty straight forward?

I replaced a ice box with a 12v fridge and it was simple matter of slide the old one out and slide the new one in. Your mileage may vary.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Try using a Google search similar to this site wanderthewest.com “replacing refrigerator.
There was a thread on here several months ago from someone who was doing the same replacement. I did some measurements for them of my Grandby fridge enclosure. I spent some time looking but didn’t find it. Maybe your suggested search will find it.

Hi there - I had my old 3 way fridge removed and replaced it with an Isotherm and could not be happier. My 150 watts of solar can power the fridge and provide charge to the batteries. I had an RV shop do the removal and install given they had to cut and cap the propane line. I simply found one that matched the width and was shorter than the existing space.

Karl

I’m thinking of converting to a 12v as well. Is there any advantage to getting a model that can also be powered by 110v? When hooked to shore power I believe my IOTA converter would still supply power, either 12v directly to the fridge or by trickle charging the battery that then feeds the fridge. My longest trips are usually 2 weeks and I only occasionally use shore power at a campground and for charging before before we leave. The 110 models are a few hundred dollars extra and I don’t know if there is any advantage to them in my situation. I have 100w of solar and don’t stay put for long so I’d be getting trickle charge when driving.

cfike said:
I’m thinking of converting to a 12v as well. Is there any advantage to getting a model that can also be powered by 110v? When hooked to shore power I believe my IOTA converter would still supply power, either 12v directly to the fridge or by trickle charging the battery that then feeds the fridge. My longest trips are usually 2 weeks and I only occasionally use shore power at a campground and for charging before before we leave. The 110 models are a few hundred dollars extra and I don’t know if there is any advantage to them in my situation. I have 100w of solar and don’t stay put for long so I’d be getting trickle charge when driving.
The IOTA powers all 12V loads when on shore power so I cannot see any reason to have a 120VAC option on that 12V compressor fridge. For the old style power monsters (usually ran on propane) AC was preferred over 12V operation. Not so for the low power compressor fridges talked about here. Easy install, just 12V needed.

I have a 12V/120V refrigerator in my Grandby. I don't stay in campgrounds with shore power. The only real use I found for 120V is to pre-cool the fridge at home and my solar (200W) works just as well keeping the battery at 100%

You would probably never miss being able to power the fridge directly from 120 VAC. The advantage to having 120 VAC capability would be that you can have your 12 VDC system shut down and still run the fridge from shore power. That could be an advantage to not put large amounts of hours on your DC charger/supply if you run your fridge for long periods on shore power. Most people don’t buy these campers to sit on shore power, though.

My built in unit has no need for 110. I also have another chest type that I only use occasionally and when its not in the camper I use it supplement my tiny home fridge. That one is useful to run on 110.

craig333 said:
My built in unit has no need for 110. I also have another chest type that I only use occasionally and when its not in the camper I use it supplement my tiny home fridge. That one is useful to run on 110.
This is the only consideration in my mind. Built in = just 12v DC, portable get AC/DC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom