Replacing cab over panel

Beach

Replacing the bottom panel in the cab over of my 2005 Hawk. Planning on using marine grade plywood since there are no voids in it, will be using either 1/2" or 5/8", haven't removed it as yet so not exactly sure what thickness is original. Thought about using HDPE but it's heavy and would sag across that span. If anyone has a better recommendation on my material selection please chime in. A stiff no rot composite would be best but I want to keep the cost reasonable.

I think the marine grade ply is going to be your best option. If it were me, I would apply several coats of thin epoxy to all sides to seal the wood.

Beach,

I believe the original was at least 3/4” material, which would be my recommendation, especially for a 48” overhang, but you might be fine with 5/8”. I don’t think 1/2” would be strong enough to avoid becoming concave over time. I used 3/4” on my 36” overhang. Just my thoughts.

As far as marine grade, that might be fine, but I agree with Sage, a good coating of porch paint or epoxy would be best for the exposed surface.

Poky

Thanks for replying. My plan was to cut the panel to size, then coat with west system, double coating the edge grain. All fastener holes will get a dab of 4200 and fully chaulk the perimeter with the same.

Beach said:
Thanks for replying. My plan was to cut the panel to size, then coat with west system, double coating the edge grain. All fastener holes will get a dab of 4200 and fully chaulk the perimeter with the same.
I think your spot on with the West System, but not sure about the 4200. I could be the correct sealant, but I believe Sika has products worth investigating as well.

Ok, I'm open to ideas here, do I remove/install panel from the outside or remove/install through the inside of the camper. Either way the camper will need to be off the truck. Outside option means having to remove aluminum trim and lower extrusion, then reversing order to install new panel. Removing to the inside requires removing most of the interior since the panel is "captured", under aluminum bracing and behind interior vertical paneling. Can cut the old to remove but to install the new one piece panel this is the only way. Other option for inside removal would be to install the panel back in 2 pieces. I would make each piece with a 4-5" over lapping(scarf) joint that would joined together with west system and screws during installation. I believe this method would be more than strong enough having done repairs of this nature on boats before. Any opinions????

Try this google search argument “site wanderthewest.com cab over replacement”. It returns at least one thread, you could experiment with the wording to see how many others are out there.

Thanks Ski, got a reply from Brian @ FWC, same as you are saying. Just trying to avoid removing majority of camper internals. As of now I'm leaning towards a 2 piece installation with a 3-4" half lap joint using W system epoxy. Installing the jacks now and should have camper off today. Going to reevaluate once camper is off. You are correct Pokybro, panel is 3/4". Thanks to all, your inputs are appreciated.

Isn't FWC currently using some sort of laminate faced marine ply for the cab over and other exterior panels? I can't remember what it is called but it was in their marketing materials at some point and I think it is used for building docks and the like. On my 2016 the cab-over portion has a black plastic finish on the under side and a a grey laminate on the inside so you wouldn't need to slather with epoxy.

Thanks, Wuck. I had to do it in two pieces with an overlap joint, aluminum bracing is in the way, not allowing panel to drop in place. Panel is epoxy sealed and prefinished ready to drop in, waiting on the weather, suppose to have 2-4" rain this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom