Resealing Roof Seam - 2005 Hawk

bajaphile

Hi All,
I've tried searching for this particular question but didn't find anything very helpful.

The previous owner of my 2005 Hawk used what looks like is ExternaBond "tape" along the roof seam (that runs fore and aft, right down the middle of the camper). The tape is bubbling, cracking and peeling up and needs to be fixed. In fact one area that came up revealed a good crack and golf ball sized dent.

What is/was the factory method of sealing this main joint/seam along the roof? I purchased some 3M 5200 to hopefully fix the cracked area. I have a tube of 3M 4200 and also some Sikaflex self leveling sealant. My plan was to use a bead a along the length of the camper between the seam with 4200, then cover again with lap sealant. Does this sound like it would work?

Sorry for bad photo, but this is what I am dealing with:

Attachments

• 20201202_065506.jpg
    20201202_065506.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 113
Did a similar repair to a friends trailer roof. We used a 3M poly blend used for sealing semi trailer seams but 5200 or 4200 would work fine. We thoroughly cleaned the surface and wiped with solvent, taped off with 2" wide solvent proof masking tape, squirted out a heavy bead of sealant which we leveled with a bondo spreader so it was about 1/8' thick. Removed the tape and cleaned a couple spots up. That was about 10 years ago, no issues since.

Thanks! That sounds like a good plan. So basically just re-seal with sealant after I clean up all the tape (which is going to take forever...).

So the lengthwise seam on the roof was generally just sealed from factory? No need to add ExternaBond or anything?

It is hard to get a photo of what is happening on mine, but the ExternaBond looking tape is completely falling apart. In one location I peeled it back slightly to find what looked like an unsealed seam going directly into the camper. I just was surprised someone would simply use the tape and call it good.

From the factory I think the seam is just folded... no goop of any kind is applied (at least not on my 2005 camper).

Vic Harder said:
From the factory I think the seam is just folded... no goop of any kind is applied (at least not on my 2005 camper).
Same on my camper. I had other leaks in the roof but the seam was fine. The seam looks unsealed but due to how it is pressed it is water proof without sealant.

I would patch the cracked aluminum around the dent. I fiberglass cracks on my camper but a lot of guys will glue/epoxy an aluminum patch on it with the same results.

Vic Harder said:
Thank you! This is interesting... I am curious on why previous owner had taped it up. They also used the tape over the vent screws instead of using a lap sealant.

Kolockum said:
Same on my camper. I had other leaks in the roof but the seam was fine. The seam looks unsealed but due to how it is pressed it is water proof without sealant.

I would patch the cracked aluminum around the dent. I fiberglass cracks on my camper but a lot of guys will glue/epoxy an aluminum patch on it with the same results.
Thanks for the tips!

bajaphile said:
Thank you! This is interesting... I am curious on why previous owner had taped it up. They also used the tape over the vent screws instead of using a lap sealant.
I tried to seal mine up before I knew better. They may have done the same.

Note to my above post. Tape is removed immediately after leveling the sealant. DO NOT let it cure and try to remove tape afterwards or it will be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom