Ride-Rite Leak

Garymc

Advanced Member
One of my Ride-Rite's is leaking. Bummer. It's only about a month old, I assuming the leak is in one of the hose fittings and was wondering if any of y'all had had similar issues and what you did to fix it.

Thanks for your time-

Gary Mc

First, pump up your bag to max PSI. Then get a spray bottle of soapy water and start spraying and look for a steady stream of small bubbles to find the leak. If it's a faulty hose fitting, they are only about $3 to replace. Might be you just need to screw it in another turn or two to seal it up. If it's the bag (they usually leak at the seam around the top and bottom plates,) you need to buy a new one.

Also check and make sure your valve stem is screwed all the way down. Double check the rubber seal on the valve stem too.

Gary,
I have had a very slow leak in my Ride-Rites since I got them. I also thought it might be the fittings and replaced them since they aren't very expensive. It didn't do anything. I assume now, that it is the bags. My leak is so slow that I can go a couple of days between having to re-fill the left bag. I have tried the soap and water trick several times and have not been able to figure out where mine leak. I may go ahead and replace that bag and see if that does the trick but I sure would like to know if it is that for sure before spending the $$.

Best of luck with tracking down your leak.
Jim

One of my Ride-Rite's is leaking. Bummer. It's only about a month old, I assuming the leak is in one of the hose fittings and was wondering if any of y'all had had similar issues and what you did to fix it.

Thanks for your time-

Gary Mc

So what rate of pressure loss is considered a leak? When I first had my Ride-Rite's installed, it never occurred to me to monitor the pressure. Not until about six months later did I check them to find they were empty. Now that I check them regularly, they seem to lose about 10 psi a month. So I have been assuming this is normal, kind of like a bike tire. But reading this makes me wonder. So is some pressure loss over time normal?

So what rate of pressure loss is considered a leak? When I first had my Ride-Rite's installed, it never occurred to me to monitor the pressure. Not until about six months later did I check them to find they were empty. Now that I check them regularly, they seem to lose about 10 psi a month. So I have been assuming this is normal, kind of like a bike tire. But reading this makes me wonder. So is some pressure loss over time normal?

Even if you run pure N2 (a large molecule compared to O2) I think you will get some leakage through the rubber membranes and fittings of any air system. That is one reason I installed an onboard air compressor and tank. I tend to run 79% N2, 20% O2 and 1% other gasses in my tires and Level-Rite airbags/shocks. :D

Gary,
I have had a very slow leak in my Ride-Rites since I got them. I also thought it might be the fittings and replaced them since they aren't very expensive. It didn't do anything. I assume now, that it is the bags. My leak is so slow that I can go a couple of days between having to re-fill the left bag. I have tried the soap and water trick several times and have not been able to figure out where mine leak. I may go ahead and replace that bag and see if that does the trick but I sure would like to know if it is that for sure before spending the $$.

Best of luck with tracking down your leak.
Jim

Jim:

I fought a slow leak in my Ride Rites for months. No amount of soap found it. I got the air pump version. Finally got a tank
and went from pump to tank and finally found leak in the gauge that came with the pump.

Good luck.

Blutaco

I have Air Lift springs, and they bleed down a few pounds every month. For ease of maintenance, I installed a compressor and wireless controller. The controller is small, about the size of a garage door opener and just clips to the sun visor. It's a real easy thing to keep up, once a month or so to turn on the compressor and top off the bags.

It also makes it easy to change the air pressure at will when conditions change.

<br />One of my Ride-Rite's is leaking. Bummer. It's only about a month old, I assuming the leak is in one of the hose fittings and was wondering if any of y'all had had similar issues and what you did to fix it.<br /><br />     Thanks for your time-<br /><br />              Gary Mc<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would reconnect the "push to connect" air lines to the fittings. I went through a pretty rigorous search for a leak as well, shortly after I installed mine. What I found was, one of the airlines were not pushed into the bag fitting far enough. After talking with freinds that installed them on their trucks, several of them had the same problem. It would be rare for the bags or the fittings to leak, as these are tested at the factory (I know...I said it would be rare, not impossible). In my haste to install them, I guess I just didn't put enough pressure on the airline while pushing it into the fitting. Since then I have had no problems.

I hope this helps.

Happy Holidays!

Paul

Thanks for your time-

Gary Mc

I've been checking out the Sumo Springs, they are airless airbags and look like a good replacement option.

Back
Top Bottom