Rnk's Hawk shell build

RnK

Advanced Member
Hi everybody,

With our Thermal Pack built and tested (write-up here; http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9686-homemade-thermal-pack/page-2 ) we seem to be about 95% done with all we had planned to do.

We started with this setup;

2004 dbl cab Tundra with RideRite airbags

gallery_5403_824_69918.jpg

2014 Hawk shell with these options:

2 Solar plugs
12v outlets
Furnace and propane
Fantastic fan and extra roof vent
Rear wall steps
Additional driver's side window
Privacy curtains
Aux. battery system
Gas struts (4)
Jacks and brackets

Looked like this inside;

med_gallery_5403_824_40293.jpg

med_gallery_5403_824_2329.jpg

med_gallery_5403_824_23290.jpg

Knowing we were going to build a front dinette, we didn't want the wall cabinet to be in the way of getting in and out of the passsenger side seat. I pulled it off and cut it down and remounted it.

med_gallery_5403_824_17262.jpg

I had to create a table for the dinette and I wanted it to match the counter top over the heater. I had enough Formica laying around to do the job so I unscrewed the counter top (with some difficulty as I did not want to remove the heater and it is screwed from below)and removed it. While I had it off I installed a voltmeter (detailed here; http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9211-round-hole-voltmeter/ ). Then I built a slightly larger top and installed it.

gallery_5403_824_27055.jpg

Next I added the seat buildout out of 1/2" birch plywood with maple rails.

gallery_5403_824_9983.jpg

I had to cut down the long narrow door over the stock storage area in order to accommodate the new larger door created by the seat buildout.

Here is the door closed,creating the seat.

gallery_5403_824_19207.jpg

We bought a sheet of 4" decent quality foam online from the Foam Factory and ordered fabric to match our existing upholstery from FWC. We cut the foam to fit our needs and hired a local woman to sew it all up for us. I made plywood backs to go behind the seatback cushions and extended the upper bed slide out rails for them to lean against. I bought a different thermostat at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z84PW2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_1) as the one that came on the Hawk came with a setpoint that was too high for our needs.

med_gallery_5403_824_9473.jpg

It had to be moved up a little to accommodate the rail extension.

So here is the finished product:

Seatback with a bolster behind creates the proper seating angle, at least for us. I used our dining room chairs as a template of sorts.

gallery_5403_824_24660.jpg

The result is a seat that is comfortable for sitting at the table,

gallery_5403_824_37781.jpg

or it can be turned the other way for lounging for her on the driver side,

gallery_5403_824_40580.jpg

or me on the passenger side.

med_gallery_5403_824_34965.jpg

I raised the floor between the seats so our legs wouldn't dangle while sitting and created some storage underneath.

med_gallery_5403_824_6020.jpg

NorCalHawk was kind enough to send me the table supports he was no longer using so building the table top was straightforward. I used formica on the underside of both the table and countertop, the former for strength and the latter because that's the way FWC does it (I assume for heat protection in the heater area?).

The dinette makes into a comfortable bed for one person.

gallery_5403_824_13358.jpg

And finally, we had a receiver hitch step made by a local welder.

gallery_5403_824_11462.jpg

The foam and reflectors are ours. Had to move the license plate up a few inches to make it visible.

Costs, roughly, so far:
Plywood,glue,misc. $130
Misc. hardware $ 65
FWC fabric (&vinyl) $206
Seamstress $200
Thermal pack mat. $215
Misc other $ 25
Thermostat $ 50

Rough total $676

So, there it is. Many thanks to all the contributors that gave us so many great ideas.
See you out on the road!

R and K

RnK,

Great write up! And very helpful! Curious about how you guys pack your camper for a trip. Do you guys have plastic bins to hold stuff such as stove, bbq, cookware, and food?

This is what had to do with my Eagle Shell which worked okay but it was PITA if I wanted to get something in the camper mid travel:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8146-packing-gear-inside-eagle-shell/

Do you plan on relocating the battery in the future?

RnK,

Great write up! And very helpful! Curious about how you guys pack your camper for a trip. Do you guys have plastic bins to hold stuff such as stove, bbq, cookware, and food?

This is what had to do with my Eagle Shell which worked okay but it was PITA if I wanted to get something in the camper mid travel:

http://www.wanderthe...de-eagle-shell/

Do you plan on relocating the battery in the future?
We haven't got all that lined out yet - still organizing and experimenting. We'll get serious about it after the holidays I think.
No plans to move the battery, though I suppose under one of those seats might be a good spot. Hmmmm....

A note on the rough costs - a little too rough - actually adds up to $891. Ooooops

Very nice looking build. I especially like the versatile design of the front dining table. Do you all do any cooking inside?

Very nice looking build. I especially like the versatile design of the front dining table. Do you all do any cooking inside?
We make coffee in the morning inside (if it's cold out) on a one burner Coleman but cook our meals outside.

Did you flip the wall cabinet so that the doors opened down instead of the FWC way of lifting up? If so, are you happy with this change? I've been thinking that they would be more functional that way instead of having to bend down to see inside the cabinet.

The new doors open down. Not sure when the change was made. My 2002 was a slide, my 2013 open down and I really like it.

Ditto with billharr - ours came opening down and we like it very much.

Ahh - we have a 2012 Fleet! Missed out on that improvement. Will have to flip them over. Hopefully won't be too distructive.

RnK, a great job and great pictures. We too use a one burner stove inside when its cold or damp outside to make coffee or heat up soup. Happy Camping.

RnK

I like what you did for your dinette seating. Is there a reason you cut back into the carpeted area? The reason I ask is that my factory built front dinette on my 2014 Grandby has the wood seat bottom that lifts completely out to give access to the storage area under the seats and the turnbuckles. You have to remove the cushion and then the wood seat. I wonder if you thought about just building it out and having a removal seat for storage. The only thought I had was that by cutting back you opened a closed area for additional storage. Just curious.

I like what you did for your dinette seating. Is there a reason you cut back into the carpeted area? The reason I ask is that my factory built front dinette on my 2014 Grandby has the wood seat bottom that lifts completely out to give access to the storage area under the seats and the turnbuckles. You have to remove the cushion and then the wood seat. I wonder if you thought about just building it out and having a removal seat for storage. The only thought I had was that by cutting back you opened a closed area for additional storage. Just curious.
Sorry it took so long to reply, Longhorn1 - we were gone for the holidays.

In our Hawk shell there was a small compartment (about 4 or 5 in. wide and maybe 7in. deep) that ran the length of the bench and was accessed by a hinged lift panel. If you look at this picture -

gallery_5403_824_9983.jpg

you can see the front end of that small compartment. The rest of it is accessed by lifting up the hinged door (the part with the white metal trim). Its hinges are hidden by the carpet. So when I made the seat I just cut the narrow door off where the seat begins and installed a bigger door, hinged on the same line, to make the seat and the storage.

Hope that answers your question!

I really like your build Robert. I will probably order a Hawk shell and build something similar. I haven't done much woodwork, but it looks relatively simple, yet extremely versatile. I like the lounging option. It must be nice to be able to switch from the dining position to lounging. 2 people could spend hours hanging out in there if wanted. The dining position looks perfect for eating a meal, using a laptop, playing cards etc. The lounge position looks like it would be perfect for reading, using a phone, tablet etc.

I've got a few questions.
1. Are there any options you regret not ordering?
2. What do think of the drivers side window? Would you order it again? It looks like a great feature based on your build.
3. Are the privacy curtains actually private? Are they blackout curtains, or does light still pass through them? Are they actually worth $300 or would you make you own if you had to order again?
4. How much did that fancy hitch step cost to get fabricated?
5. Do you get 1 or 2 propane bottles when you order the furnace and are they held securely?

I really like your build Robert. I will probably order a Hawk shell and build something similar. I haven't done much woodwork, but it looks relatively simple, yet extremely versatile. I like the lounging option. It must be nice to be able to switch from the dining position to lounging. 2 people could spend hours hanging out in there if wanted. The dining position looks perfect for eating a meal, using a laptop, playing cards etc. The lounge position looks like it would be perfect for reading, using a phone, tablet etc.

I've got a few questions.
1. Are there any options you regret not ordering?
2. What do think of the drivers side window? Would you order it again? It looks like a great feature based on your build.
3. Are the privacy curtains actually private? Are they blackout curtains, or does light still pass through them? Are they actually worth $300 or would you make you own if you had to order again?
4. How much did that fancy hitch step cost to get fabricated?
5. Do you get 1 or 2 propane bottles when you order the furnace and are they held securely?
Thanks, Bill. So far the modifications are working out well - comfortable in both positions and it still feels fairly roomy back there. We will be giving it a more rigorous test in a month or so.

1. One thing we didn't get that sounds good to me is the extension of the pop-up to 6'9" as per 100acrehuphalump's post. Don't know if that was available or not when we ordered or if it would have been prohibitively expensive. The normal height is fine for standing (for us) but that extra few inches might come in handy for maneuvering on the top bunk.
2. We had wished there was a smaller window to order for the driver's side (a 2ft or 3ft opener would have been perfect) but there wasn't so we went with the full sized window and have to say we love it for the light and view. It no doubt lets in a little more cold than an insulated wall but we feel it is well worth it.
3. It seems like the curtains are private but I have heard others complain that they are not blackout. We don't generally camp where there is enough light to bother us. That said, we don't live as far north as you - I imagine days can get rather long up there in the summer! The curtains were probably worth it for us but if you sew, and want more blackout, it might be worth it to do your own,
4. A local welder did it for $178 - it is a great addition. I see that I left that out of my expense list (oooops again...) so that would bring the total to around $1,070 in mods.
5. Two ten pound propane bottles came with the heater and they are well secured in their own ventilated compartment.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom