Roof Lift Assists

Beach

Thinking of adding assists to my Hawk, how of you have installed them yourself? I see some installed inside and others installed on the exterior, is one better than the other. I will be spending a fair amount of time at the beach and worry about rust on the exterior set up. Does anyone have a strut part number, or manufacturer name. thanks

Yep, Starting on page 27 you'll see ETAV8R as one of the latest to show us how it's done. And just after that series of threads, I copied his work pretty much the same more or less, starting at page 28. I used the stronger 75# struts for my bigger camper, thus a larger roof assembly (I have the Hawk, his is the Eagle I think)

Total cost, less than $75
Total time to install, less than one hour...

Well worth it!

Oh yes, as ETAV8R said in the very last post:

"Big props to Hadley for coming up with the ocean going hardware solution."

Got to give credit where credit is due... I love this site because most folks share their good ideas so we can all benefit from them. Lots of unique ideas on here.

Beach said:
Thinking of adding assists to my Hawk, how of you have installed them yourself? I see some installed inside and others installed on the exterior, is one better than the other. I will be spending a fair amount of time at the beach and worry about rust on the exterior set up. Does anyone have a strut part number, or manufacturer name. thanks
I installed mine myself,way back toward the beginning of that thread.Mine are on the outside,as if you place them inside you can only put them on the front.As a added production from salt air,I live close to the ocean,I wrapped the strut tubes with black electrical tape.Seems to work.
I carry a #60 canoe on the roof of my ATC Bobcat and use the #40 struts.Work great and when there isn't any weight on the roof the top comes down with out much pulling.
IMO struts,inside or out are a must.Sure don't want to hurt your back out on the road lifting the roof.
The whole thread has loads of info,for both installations.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom