Roof Rack Cross Bar Ideas

WesAlan

Hello,

I am brainstorming options for either buying or potentially DIY cross bars for the roof of my Hawk. I have had many type of different racks and cross bars from installing tracks on other vehicles as well as aluminess racks, Yakima and Thule.

For this build I don’t see the necessity in spending so much money for two or three cross bars in total that I won’t have any intention of moving.

Current ideas now are either 8020 aluminum or just square tubing aluminum.

The main purpose for the rack is just for a few longboards.

If you have any ideas or previous experience I would love to see!

Thanks,

Wes

I used some 1" aluminum square tube and attached to my yakima tracks. I put a 1" standoff in there to create space for rack pads and eliminate the possibility of racks hitting the roof with a heavier load. All held together with aluminum rivets. I have had three surfboards up there and also a 13' ocean kayak with no issues. I also made a similar set up out of aluminum z bar for my flexible solar panel. Both rack systems weigh next to nothing up there. Much lighter and a lower profile than my yakima

I must say I do love the 80/20 idea! Nice and simple and lends itself to other modifications and set ups. It would be nice to add a stand off to the set up somehow.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1569 (1).jpg
    IMG_1569 (1).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 154
Aluminum z-bars, square tubes or channels. Of these, z-bars are the easiest to mount.

You can make your own "nuts" to go in Yakima or Thule roof channels by cutting pieces from a stainless steel bar and drilling and threading holes in them. They don't have to be square - They can be longer for more holding surface. They can even have more than one threaded hole. Slide them into the channel and attatch your crossbars with appropriate screws, maybe 1/4-28 or M6x1.0. Put aluminum spacers between, for more clearance to the roof, if needed.

You can buy all this, including taps, from McMaster-Carr and/or Orange Aluminum..

i like the 80/20 solution that heinphoto used. many attachment options. though, i would prefer some kind of 'bolt' attachment, vs straps. i use straps for everything, but if they are up on the roof, out of sight, i would be concerned about something happening.

Bumping this topic. I ended up finding some very reasonable aluminum cross bars online that I will mount to the aluminum framing on the roof. Has anyone just drilled heavy duty screws into the frame and had success or should I look into pulling the headliner and using carriage bolts?

I should mention that when I carry my kayak its tied down front and rear so even if there were some lifting forces it couldn't lift anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom