Roof Vent install Grandby

rystjohn

Advanced Member
Hey everyone! The lady and I own a 2007 Grandby shell which is somewhat new to us. We are slowly modifying and building our rig up to be our full time living quarters on the road as we amble around for a year or so.

I'm sure I will have many many questions, but right now I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a step-by-step process for installing a forward roof vent. I have ordered a fantastic fan and wish to install it over the bed to help with condensation in the winter and heat in the summer. I have a rough idea of what to do, but I'm a little weary to start cutting holes in my roof without making sure I have the process down.

So far I know where the supports are for the vent, and I'm 90% sure I have a power line running by it. I have butyl tape and lapping roof caulk. But any further guidance would be great.

Thank you!

It sounds like you know what you're doing.
The first "cut" or "hole" is always the hardest, once you've got that done you're committed to finish it up.

Documenting it will be good for other members and guests thinking of doing the same

Have you read the threads about sealants?
Lots of choices and opinions, almost like what oil a person should use in an engine.

rystjohn said:
Hey everyone! The lady and I own a 2007 Grandby shell which is somewhat new to us. We are slowly modifying and building our rig up to be our full time living quarters on the road as we amble around for a year or so.

I'm sure I will have many many questions, but right now I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a step-by-step process for installing a forward roof vent. I have ordered a fantastic fan and wish to install it over the bed to help with condensation in the winter and heat in the summer. I have a rough idea of what to do, but I'm a little weary to start cutting holes in my roof without making sure I have the process down.

So far I know where the supports are for the vent, and I'm 90% sure I have a power line running by it. I have butyl tape and lapping roof caulk. But any further guidance would be great.

Thank you!
You might e-mail one of the builders. Like FWC or ATC they should be able to help.
Cutting that hole is a bit daunting.
Have fun.
Frank

[ quote name="Alley-Kat" post="106101" timestamp="1412958396"]It sounds like you know what you're doing.
The first "cut" or "hole" is always the hardest, once you've got that done you're committed to finish it up.

Documenting it will be good for other members and guests thinking of doing the same

Have you read the threads about sealants?
Lots of choices and opinions, almost like what oil a person should use in an engine.
.[/quote]

Oh jeez. I already don't want to go down the route of researching sealants. Hahah - I'm on ADVrider and remember sifting through heated debates on what oils to use, not use, when, where...etc. haha.

I talked to Chris from CO's FWC in person at Overland Expo East about installing the vent. He was really helpful, but I'm someone who likes pictures to help guide me. He said that from the factory they use butyl tape and sillapreen to seal it all up.

Here is a video of someone installing a Fantastic fan and vent in their van. These guys are doing it for the first time. They succeeded. Don't know why you wouldn't.

Paul

Looks nice and simple, I would think the sealing is the most important part.
And since you have wiring already there seems like a snap.

That video sure helps. Makes it easier to see how it is done.

Frank

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413730130.568087.jpg

Yesterday I had off surprisingly and it was was clear blue skies and mild temperature, so I took the plunge an cut a hole in our roof. Hands down one of the most uncomfortable things I've done, but it all worked out!!

The wires were there and waiting for me, it was quite nice.

Step 1 - drink a beer and get the courage to cut a hole in the roof of your very expensive home-away-from-home.
View attachment 19422

Step 2 - cut away your headliner with a sharp razor and pull out the styrofoam insulation. You can tell where the factory "hole" is - it's the square framed spot to the drivers side of your pushbar locking tab

Step 3 - lay a disposable sheet/blanket down as there is styrofoam now everywhere and you know it's not going to get easier or cleaner View attachment 19423

Step 4 - use a large drill bit or hole drill to blast a hole from the inside out on your metal roof. Admire how very very thin that metal is. Wow. How don't you have holes everywhere already. That was too easy. Maybe you do have holes and you don't realize it. Commence worrying.

Step 5 - use tin-snips (or similar) to SLOWLY enlarge hole.

Step 6 - keep going

Steps 7-10 - you'll need to put your roof back down and carefully climb out to the vent hole. Keep testing the size and cutting away more as needed. I found it easier to cut from outside rather than in, and I forgot the camera inside so there are no photos of this. You can also bend the metal roof in towards the hole a bit to get a precise fit.

From here I cleaned the exterior of the roof around the hole with isopropyl alcohol. Then I put down a few strips of butyl tape (overlapping them slightly).

From there, carefully drop the vent into the hole. Double check that it's facing the right direction.

Mark where your screw holes are with a drill bit or nail (to poke the butyl tape) and then remove the vent. Check that all the holes will actually be into the frame before you drill. Then drill away!

Pop the vent back on (in the correct direction again!) and hand-screw the screws into the frame. Don't over tighten & strip the hole!

You're almost done!

Press all around the vent to make sure the butyl tape has sealed. Double check all your screws and tighten if necessary. Grab a tube of self-leveling lap sealant and liberally apply to the screws edges and anywhere else you feel paranoid about water leaking. Seriously, go crazy.

Grab another beer.

Now pop the top up, crawl inside and wire that baby up. You did test it before cutting the hole to make sure it worked, right?

Ok, just crimp the wires in there and you're good to go. Black to black and yellow to white.

Tuck the wires up and slide your inner panel into place. You'll probably have to trim this piece down. I just used a thick ruler, scored the sides and sawed down to the score with a hack saw. Then a few bends and it's off.

Screw your panel into place using 4 screws (or if your UPS dude is great like mine and dropped your box, only 3 since one corner broke off ) you will almost definitely need to move and reuse your push bar strap and the screw that holds it in place.

Phew. You're done! Does it work?! Yes? Grab a beer to celebrate. Did the weather hold long enough to finish the project? Grab another! Woohoo!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413816066.774731.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413816091.885968.jpg

Great job and write up. The first hole is the hardest. I found an osculating tool works great for cutting the alum. I drilled a small hole where I wanted each corner and scribed a line to each hole. Follow line with osculating tool and you are done. Measure twice before cutting.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom