Rookie question regarding Tundra & Camper in the sand...

KILR0Y

Gone Traveling
I'm guessing many of you can chime in and answer this with pretty good experience, and educate the rest of us. I'm guessing some of the folks who travel to Baja (like SunMan, sdmarkus, Ted, generubin, oldtbone, etc.) really know the limitations of our rigs in the sand with the campers on.

My question:
Can I safely cross the soft sand (many are medium/high dunes you have to crest) between the roadways and beaches in Oregon, Cali, and Mexico - without airing the tires down?

Most places I've found some pretty soft sand between where I arrive from and where I want to camp on the beach side. Obviously, I don't want to bury the truck/camper in the process and look like a jackwagon. I understand the requirements (in many locale) to have a flag and OHV permit, and have outfitted my rig with a flag already.

|
[SIZE=8pt]|____________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt][__/[_[_\____\,_[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]L---L-L-L--0=*=0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]`(o)_---(o)_--)_)`.........[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]```````````````````````[/SIZE]

I have some pretty good experience in the sand, but not with the Hawk (~1K loaded) on the back of the truck. I understand how to pour-it-on in 4x4 and keep the momentum going, and I know how to turn all the gizmo's off on the new tundra so I can spin the tires (without the traction control kicking in).

Any knowledge passed would be much appreciated, and I'll be sure to post a TR when I get back - full of photo's.

Thanks,
[SIZE=10pt] ...................\|||/..........................[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt].................(@@).........................[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____| [/SIZE]

Answer... yes and no. Yes is you can go as long as momentum takes you. Conditions weather the sand is dry or wet, wet then you can go further. Up hill grade will take your speed down and may or may not make the crest of a hill. Having more weight with the camper over the rear axel will drive the tire profile deeper in the sand and cause more resistance, plow. So you should pre plan and widen your foot print to the sand by airing down, float. How far to air down depends on the sand conditions and what rated tire you have.

If you don't air down and you loose momentum, don't keep gassing it. Calmly stop and air down your tires and most times you will be able to start moving and carry on. If not then still air down and use a sand ladder like Maxtrax to allow you to proceed.

Airing down is your first tool to get you in and out and after you are out you should have a way to air up all 4 tires for highway speeds.

I took a friend into a area in Arizona that has many long sections of deep sand. I have my 2005 4 runner towing a 17' Casita trailer and he has a 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 with a FWC Kestrel. We air down and both made it in and out no trouble. The Tundra can do it, just set and preplan for the conditions.

Happy sand driving............

I often tow the Jeep into the dunes at Pismo or Glamis without any problems. I do air down to 20 psi though. I have done some sandy stretches with full pressure when not towing but you have to maintain momentum.

For the area you describe I would air down. You'll have a much easier drive with less seat pucker. Powering through without airing down could either get you stuck or break something.

This is good information, and I suppose I need to be looking for a good compressor for re-airing up the tires. I do remember a recent post about this topic, so I'll be spending some time on there.

One thing is for sure, the pop-up's are really designed to do just that - access some really nice camping 'on the other side' of things. This is were we get our money's worth...

Thank you for the input and experience so far.

Back
Top Bottom