Rotopax Gas Can Problem

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
For our new All Terrain Camper we purchased a 3 gallon rotopax gas can plus the mounts directly from their website. We have used it for a little over a year. On our last trip the gas can began oozing gas from two stress cracks.

rotopax-001-copy.jpg

rotopax-002-copy.jpg

rotopax-003-copy.jpg

rotopax-004-copy.jpg

I have contacted rotopax with an email along with these photos asking if they had seen this problem before. I'll let you know if I receive a response. I did check out their warranty page and noticed that the purchaser must fill out the form within 90 days of purchase for the item to be warrantied. I did not do that. My mistake, I was not aware of the requirement. If I replace the can I will be sure to do this as I cannot afford $100 a year for a new gas can.

Hmmm.... I'd always heard that requirements for registration for warranty are bogus -- that registration can't be required.
At least, that's what I've heard about electronic equipment, e.g., Panasonic asks me to register my TV for warranty...but the warranty is actually good even if I don't register.
But I don't know if it's universal.

A phone call is always better....................................and always save your invoices

I called this morning. They asked when I bought the product. I gave my order number and she pulled it up. They are sending a new gas can, no questions asked and no need to return the old can, "throw it away". Good service.

I will give it our "normal use" test.

MarkBC and PaulT, thanks again for the valuable information we should all be aware of on warranties.

I went to this page, filled out the form, but come to find out this is an old site and out dated. I went directly to Roto Pax web site and requested a warranty form. Perhaps someone else has a better solution. BTW, hard to believe Roto Pax would not stand behind their product. Go figure.

NorCalHawk said:
I went to this page, filled out the form, but come to find out this is an old site and out dated. I went directly to Roto Pax web site and requested a warranty form. Perhaps someone else has a better solution. BTW, hard to believe Roto Pax would not stand behind their product. Go figure.
Please check my recent post (#*8) above. Rotopax is standing behind their product.

Ski, glad roto pax is sending you a new one.Based on your pictures, it looks like a inherent design flaw. Any thoughts about adding padding into area?

super doody said:
Ski, glad roto pax is sending you a new one.Based on your pictures, it looks like a inherent design flaw. Any thoughts about adding padding into area?
I've thought about it but the concern is compromising the height of the dimples that anchor the first screw mount.

Good news. Seems like an inherent design problem though. I guess we will stay tuned and see how the replacement works out. I hope this is a one time deal.

Very happy to hear Rotopax is standing behind their product. I have two of the 2gal containers, though I store them flat in a carrier, so no stresses on the seams like in your rig.

Got notice that my replacement has been shipped and will arrive next Wednesday. I will consider adding something for spreading out the stress. I did not receive a reply as to if this a problem they have seen before. I would appreciate knowing if another here has experienced a similar failure. Thanks.

Several years back when I decided to add a fuel container on the rear of the camper I looked at Rotopax but settled on an AT holder with Scepter can. My concern with Rotopax cans was the fact the lid appears to be accessible, and it seems anyone could walk up, remove the lid and siphon the contents. Is this the case, or am I missing something? The AT holder has a strap covering the lid and making it inaccessible.

Glad Rotopax is standing behind their product.

Rotopax lids don't lock as far as I know. I only fill my gas can up when I'll be away from a gas station for a while and then empty it into my tank when I get back to civilization so I've never really worried about someone stealing the gas. Mine is mounted flat on top of my Aluminess box so if someone does try they will get soaked anyway.

K6ON said:
Several years back when I decided to add a fuel container on the rear of the camper I looked at Rotopax but settled on an AT holder with Scepter can. My concern with Rotopax cans was the fact the lid appears to be accessible, and it seems anyone could walk up, remove the lid and siphon the contents. Is this the case, or am I missing something? The AT holder has a strap covering the lid and making it inaccessible.

Glad Rotopax is standing behind their product.
You are right Bob, buttheads can get to the gas and we considered that. Thus far we have remained out of butthead gas thieves' territory.

Back
Top Bottom