Rubber mat under the camper a water concern?

Jon R

I have a Grandby in an HD truck with a factory sprayed in bed liner. I noted some shifting of the camper after some fairly mild off road bumpy travel, so I bought a 3/8 inch thick OEM rubber mat designed for the truck. I installed it last weekend and reinstalled the csmper.

The arrangement without the mat was quite good for preventing the wood strips that support the camper from sitting in water in wet weather because the bed floor ridges held the wood 1/4 inch off the bottom of the floor grooves, allowing drainage and air flow.

With the mat, the wood strips press into the rubber. This helps prevent movement, but also creates a low area on top of the mat around each strip that I picture holding water around the strips for long periods.

I’m thinking 3/8 thick rubber strips covering the bottom of each wood strip would have the benefits of a rubber mat without trapping water around the wood strips.

Thoughts on this? Thanks

I used a horse stall mat. No water soaking or pooling and nearly incompressible. Mule and 4 wheel campers recommends it.

Thanks. I own several 3/4 inch horse stall mats from the days when we had horses. I did not consider using them because my height clearance into the barn to store the truck/camper is really close, plus they are quite heavy for me to move and very tough to cut. The 3/8 bed mat is similar material but smaller rubber particles.

I suppose I could get a light and mirror and look at it through the turnbuckle ports.

I use a bed mat from Ford for my Super Duty, when removing camper twice a year, I have found no signs of water being trapped on top or below mat. And yes the mat helps the camper from moving around.

Thanks, WS. Good to know it can be bought from a roll. Our 3/4 inch 4x6 foot mats from the feed store are really heavy.

I have a 3/8 mat I’m happy with from GM if I’m going to use a mat. However, after i installed it, I was having second thoughts about whether it might pool water around the camper’s wood supporting strips in wet weather. So far the feedback is it’s not a problem. I’ll get a mirror and flashlight and look at it next time I wash the truck.

Jon,

I have a 3/8 rubber mat under my Grandby. Works for me. Its actually left over padding for gym floors. Its recycled rubber tires used to make padding for gym floors. We had a bunch left over from projects we where doing. They charged us for it and it was going to go back to the contractor or tossed. I said "we paid for it, I'll take it"

Since I live in CO, our climate has such low humidity and I am not worried about moisture. Its gone the next day.

Living in the north west, I would be considering something else in addition to the rubber pad while in storage.

Park the truck at an angle while in storage. Jack the back end of the camper up while in storage.

Thanks Mark. When the camper is on the truck it is stored in the center aisle of my barn, which is dry. It does happen to be sloped down a little just as you recommend so any residual water should run out the back. The bed also has drain holes at the front. I was mainly thinking of the issue while driving and using the camper in rainy conditions.

Colorado Mark said:
Jon,

I have a 3/8 rubber mat under my Grandby. Works for me. Its actually left over padding for gym floors. Its recycled rubber tires used to make padding for gym floors. We had a bunch left over from projects we where doing. They charged us for it and it was going to go back to the contractor or tossed. I said "we paid for it, I'll take it"

Since I live in CO, our climate has such low humidity and I am not worried about moisture. Its gone the next day.

Living in the north west, I would be considering something else in addition to the rubber pad while in storage.

Park the truck at an angle while in storage. Jack the back end of the camper up while in storage.
I believe most camper builders recommend keeping the nose a little higher than the back when not on the truck.

Back
Top Bottom