Ruby Crest Trail

Ronin

On July 12th hiked over Liberty Pass and camped at Liberty Lake with my hiking partner Hal. Called the ranger station in the morning and was advised that Lamoille Lake was frozen over and that the pass probably had too much snow to get through. After making an 8 hour drive we decided that we would stick to plan A and hike up to see for ourselves if we could make it or not. The biggest challenge hiking up to Lamoille Lake was finding the trail each time we crossed scattered snowfields. We were happy to see that the lake was only about 1/3 frozen over and we were very optimistic about making over the pass. There were more snowfields to cross but they weren't frozen and just firm enough not to posthole. The final 1/2 mile or so was clear and uneventful as we made our way over the pass and down to Liberty Lake. The landscape hiking up was beautiful but the vistas on the ridge were just spectacular.

!st pic Starting out at end of Lamoille Canyon Road TH 8780' looking up at Liberty Pass (notch) 10,445'
2nd pic Looking up from Lamoille Lake
3rd pic from campground at Liberty Lake

Attachments

• rct1 - 1.jpg
    rct1 - 1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 117
  • rct1 - 1 (1).jpg
    rct1 - 1 (1).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 121
  • rct2 - 1.jpg
    rct2 - 1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 127
That is beautiful country. Did you see mountain goats? We've seen them when we've gone over the pass to Liberty Lake. Thanks for sharing your trip! :)

ski3pin said:
That is beautiful country. Did you see mountain goats? We've seen them when we've gone over the pass to Liberty Lake. Thanks for sharing your trip! :)
Didn't see any mountain goats on the hike up, but honestly I was concentrating so hard on the trail ahead I could've walked right past them and not noticed. I was looking for them up on the ridges and on the hike back but no luck. Seems like you and the Mrs. see them on every trip. You must have great goat energy!!

They were walking right up the trail ahead of us last time going to Liberty Lake. We could not have missed them. :)

Nice photos by the way. That is great country!

Back
Top Bottom