Ruby Mtns- recommendations

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We're headed out for a first time visit to the Ruby's in July. We'll be staying at the campground in Lamoille Cyn. for two nights.
We're looking for suggestions for hiking, fishing in the vicinity.

Also, any boondocking, or must-see spots, hot springs, etc. from Reno to Elko would be helpful. We're likely to spend a night or part of a day coming or going from northern California. I've looked towards looping back on Hwy 50, but that's probably more miles than we can fit into a four day outing.

You can hike onto the Ruby Crest right from the parking lot in the cirque at the head of the Lamoille Cyn. People hike Ruby Dome from the west side of the range, but the last time I was in there permission was needed and a fee was charged to cross and park on private land. Check with the FS and BLM in Elko about the current situation.

Also consider camping at Angel Lake in the East Humbolts southeast of Wells.

I like the drive from Exit 321 through well-watered ranch land then over the Humbolts to Ruby Valley and its lakes and playas. What a great area you'll be visiting!

As Doug says, hike up over the pass for the views. Liberty Lake sits down in the first basin on the other side. Its an easy drop. Liberty Lake holds a hodgepodge of trout species. I did not fish it. One big draw on this hike is Rocky Mountain goats. The Lady and I quietly followed a group up early one mountain when we did the trail. The trail up Thomas Canyon from the campground is also nice. There is another trail up the canyon to the west of Thomas Canyon. We have not explored that one. Lamoille Creek holds small trout and in the upper sections is stunning. We saw flyfishers working it the last time we were up there. You will have a great time. I did fish an off trail lake in the Wilderness close to Angel Lake that Doug talks about. Angel Lake is in the East Humboldt Range just to the east of the Rubys. It had medium sided cutthroats and we were the only ones there. There was a fellow named George in Southern California that had a website on hiking the Rubys. I'll see if I can find it or if its still up.

I believe this is the website I remember -
Ruby Mountains
starts with a nice photo of Liberty Lake from near the pass. Seems I remember providing copies of the military crash reports on the two World War II era incidents.

Thanks guys. I know I can do my own google, but the shared info from other members is much more valuable. :)

Interesting read Ruby Mountains

" Himalayan Snowcocks are native to mountain ranges in central Asia. They were introduced into Nevada between 1963 and 1979. The Ruby Mountains and the East Humboldt Range are the only places in the U.S. where Himalyan Snowcocks have become established in the wild "

I believe this is the bird(s) we saw driving towards Chidago Canyon over Memorial Day. There was a group of half a dozen in the shade of a bush on the side of the dirt road. I stopped a ways back, but when I jumped out of the vehicle they ran for it. I only got one shot in halfway focus

Back
Top Bottom