Running hoses from gas cabinet into camper- Fleet Shell

Bread

Advanced Member
Does anyone have a creative way to run gas hoses from the propane gas cabinet into the camper on a shell model? Would like two hoses, one for partner stove and one for catalytic heater.

- want the hose to be retractable back into the cabinet
-would like a rubber grommet or some other way to seal around the hose where it passes through the cabinet wall
- would like it to look good. Maybe there's some standard hardware out there that would work for this project.

Maybe another option is to have fittings mounted to side of cabinet.

I'd look into the Propane specific qwik-disconnects, like those used on RV's to provide gas to external BBQ's.

Can also buy the adapter fittings to the disposable cylinders in both the male and the female. Some of the male threaded version have a Schrader valve in them so they don't leak when nothing is connected to them.

Either approach will function in the way that you want. Not sure about the esthetics meeting your goals.

You could also run it in through the turnbuckle door with a flexible hose (either a qwik-connect or screw-on piece). That way you won't drill from the camper into the propane compartment, you'd minimize the number of connections inside the camper, and you could tuck it away outside when you're not using it. Just inspect the hose periodically.

I tried to figure out something similar and ended up going that route, but you might have more options...

If you go through the propane cabinet to the camper, you'd probably want the holes to be as high as possible on the cabinet unless you're confident that you can get them well sealed.

The way I did it for my big buddy heater was to come up through the top of the propane compartment into the cabinet that houses my battery. I can pull the hose out when I need it and just coil it up in the cabinet when not in use. The shell models at least my grandby shell does not have any good spots to mount a wave heater so I decided to use the buddy heater since I already had one and keep everything portable. When in use the battery cabinet door just has to be cracked a bit for the hose to come out. Nothing out of place when the heater was not in use. Since I have 2 ten LB propane tanks one is used for the house furnace and 2 burner stove and one is used for the buddy heater, I did not tap into the exsisting propane lines.

An old topic but here is my 2 cents.

Standard propane to run say your forced air curnace is delivered at LOW pressure.
Be sure to consider if the additional appliances you wish to run inside are low or high pressure. For example, a 2 burner camp stove that runs on a disposable canister are HIGH pressure.

This is a hot topic for me because of the huge number of problems I have been having with my Atwood heater. I finally got to the point that I removed my Atwood and built a little box in the space for the heater as a "storage" compartment for a Buddy heater (not intended to be used in that spot).

I was planning to use the existing low-pressure propane line for the Atwood and power a Buddy heater. After talking to my local Seattle area RV service parts people, they convinced me this was not a good idea. I.e.it is not safe to put high pressure propane devices inside the camper using hoses. Any problem and the camper becomes a bomb. Well, I do not mean to start a debate on this! But just to be one the safe side I decided to go back to the Atwood solution and not deal with potentially unsafe hook-ups, or using disposible bottles. I found a brand new Atwood from a RV center in Texas for $440 and am going to replace my lemon furnace.

Great topic gents.
Chris

Attachments

• Buddy.jpg
    Buddy.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 138
I actually never used my buddy heater in my granby shell after I found out how well the atwood worked, low battery consumption and very little propane. I am supprised just how little propane I have used when topping off the tank after numerous outtings.

Back
Top Bottom