Satilite messaging

Chukar Hunter

Has any of you ever used or own a device called Spot? Sorry but I don't know hoe to post a lnik but it is a device that uses satelites to transmit your location and a message for help or to let friends and family know where you are.
I do go hunting and exploring alot on my own and have been waiting for Satilite phones and service to become more affordable but this unit seems to be an affordable alturnitive.

CH,
My buddy Jim has a helicopter and has something like what your talking about. I think he called a Personal Location Device. It must be similar to the EPIRBs we used in sailing. It uses a GPS based system to locate you and sends out a distress signal. They're not all that expensive when you consider how it might save your life when you're out in the boonies.

Not sure we're talking the same thing. The personal locators have come down in price. But its pretty much a "I'm going to die" type emergency before you use it.

This device has 2 functions. One sends out an emergency signal to local rescue and the other function is you can send a non emergency message to a friend or family members computer that will locate you on Google map with a preselected message such as Vehicle trouble, out of gas, Bring beer!, or what ever you preprogram into the device. I wish i knew how to post links but if you Google "Spot" ther is a lot of info on it and a link to the manufacture site with alot more info

Wow thats a great device. 100 bucks a year but probably worth it if you are in the backcountry a lot.

When that becomes a two way messaging system it's really going to be killer.

Spot uses the globalstar network. Should help globalstar stay in business for a while longer. :D

People that i know are pretty happy with spot.

Wow, thats very interesting. I hadn't seen that before. Pricing isn't bad. That'd be sweet if you were doing something like hiking the pacific coast trail and wanted your support crew (or just friends) to know where you were.

I'm not sure its as good as a PLB for the extreme emergency. It doesen't have the local transmitter for crews to home in on.

For the price and the features, its something I'll look into. I do too many areas where cell phones, cb's and two meter ham don't work. And satellite phones are still way too much.

Back
Top Bottom