Save Your Vehicles Paint

White Dog

When I switch over my Yakima racks to the new Tundra, I noticed the paint under pads and where the hold-down clamps gripped the edge of the roof were quickly starting to become slightly dull, a sure sign of the paint starting to be rubbed at the contact points of the rack parts. Since my Yakima dealer had helped me set up the racks and I double checked the measurements, I knew it wasn't a poor installation. So I found another solution.

The good folks a 3M make a clear 'Paint Protection Film' that is designed to install on top of the paint. It is commonly installed by vehicle manufacturers to protect from stone chips around wheel-wells and doors. When properly installed, it is almost invisible. It is easy to use although read the instructions because there are a couple of simple tricks. It also easy to remove. Gently warm with a heat gun to soften the adhesive and off it comes. So far it has worked great. The same material could be used to protect anyplace where the vehicles paint may get rubbed. I've certainly been happy with the results.

I suspect there is more than one manufacturer of this type of product but here is the link to 3M's film:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/

I had no trouble finding it at my local autobody supply store. The cost was about $25 for a 6" X 84" roll. It comes in various widths. You may also be able to buy a bit from your local autobody shop.

I thought peeling paint was a requirement of the redneck look. I'd hate to lose that. Hmm, are some people trying to avoid that?

The truck is new and hasn't developed that 'patina' from miles (kilometers here in Canada) on the backroads yet. Some of us can try to live with the delusion that it will always look as good as the day we left the dealership. That could apply to other things in life too but I'm not going there!

Back
Top Bottom