sealing a large gap

craig333

Riley's Human
Okay, this actually about my Jeep but it could apply to a camper :)

We have really nice weather for working on stuff right now so its time to fix the gas fume issue from the fuel tank sending unit. Pull the seat out (not that easy since everything needs something else to come out first) and begin cleaning. Find a deep socket, two lens caps to the camera and other assorted stuff. Vacuum out what I can then hose out the rest. The tank is sloped on two sides, taller in the rear than the bed of the Jeep so no easy way to seal the gaps. This has been a problem for many years. I can't use anything that would rot since it will get wet. Can't help that. I could use a high expanding foam but I'd be cursing myself next time the tank needs to come if I did that. I could maybe use something like a pool noodle to fill the big gaps but what for the rest?

Still working six days a week so not a lot of time to sit and think about it. I can spare an hour before bedtime (still fitting in a dog walk and dinner of course). Works sucks. They told us busy through september now I'm wondering if we'll slow down at all. Makes for a grumpy camper er worker.

Craig,
I too sometimes loose stuff under the tank in the area between the seats but can usually fish it out. I would not want to put a permanent seal in those gaps since I like to hose out the area under the tank to get rid of all the dirt, sand, leaves and other rust inducing material. I would think soft foam pipe insulation would work and be removable when needed.

This project was a success. No more fumes! Found some foam stuff at blue collar supply (i hope everyone has something that near them) that was perfect. Sealed up and removable. Of course when I went to road test I found the brakes spongy. Master cylinder awaiting replacement now.

Back
Top Bottom