Second battery meter options...

Kodachrome

Hi gang,

I am having Marty at ATC help me install a second / backup battery in my Bobcat. I am going with my Optima blue top as a compact and light weight alternative to having to pair twin Sears Group 31 batteries of which I have one.

So these will be wired with two switches, one for where the battery selected is getting it's charge and one for load selection. Basically, the rooftop 135 watt panel easily runs the fridge and keeps the big Sears battery topped off, rarely do I need to enlist the use of the under cabover 100 watt that easily slides out. So what I am wanting is the truck to top off a second / backup battery for those times in Winter when the sun is behind clouds and we are parked in one spot for over a week which is not uncommon when I am working on big projects that require more hiking than driving.

Two questions then:

When the second battery is supplying the load, will the camper's battery meter read the capacity left in it?
And when the second battery is off-line for load but is being charged by the trucks alternator while driving, how can I rig a meter to see it's progress and what kind of meter, brand, links to where to buy, etc...

Pretty sure the stock monitor panel is off the load side of the ACR if you have one installed, and if you have a master power cutoff switch, it is likely wired on the power panel side of that switch. Easy test, open the master switch, everything turns off, including the battery monitor. I do not see any way your second battery will be monitored when charging switched off the truck power. You either need to switch the monitor input to each battery or get a second voltmeter (easier). To clarify, which ever battery is supplying the load, that is the one that is monitored. The other is not.

I am going to wire this in via a rocker type momentary switch ( same as the camper's water level / battery panel ) with a small inline fuse:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150474037874&refid=store

Thanks Mike for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom