SF Bay Area to Whidbey Island, WA via I-5 Camping Ideas

exmx_racer

Advanced Member
Rather than flying to SEA, we are thinking of driving from the SF Bay Area to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island in northwest Washington with our Fleet. We will be taking I-5 to shorten the trip and are looking for camping ideas - undeveloped is OK. We are planning on 3 days-2 nites to get there. The first nite might be around Ashland or Grants Pass. Second night no idea. Any recommendations for nice camping spots?

We also might drive up the Olympic Peninsula and take the ferry to Whidbey rather than staying on I-5 thru Seattle.

I don't know what your overall schedule is but I would consider adding a couple of days and taking the coast road. We did the drive from SF to Seattle last winter and enjoyed it immensly, even with bad weather. You can read a report in our blog.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/01/winter-wandering-in-west-part-2.html

We've also spent time on the Olympic Penninsula and on Whidbey Island. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Enjoy.

exmx_racer said:
Rather than flying to SEA, we are thinking of driving from the SF Bay Area to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island in northwest Washington with our Fleet. We will be taking I-5 to shorten the trip and are looking for camping ideas - undeveloped is OK. We are planning on 3 days-2 nites to get there. The first nite might be around Ashland or Grants Pass. Second night no idea. Any recommendations for nice camping spots?

We also might drive up the Olympic Peninsula and take the ferry to Whidbey rather than staying on I-5 thru Seattle.
As Takesiteasy said,if you can fit a few extra days the coast route or some part is great. When we head north through Oregon on I-5 we stop at the Valley of the Rogue SP. It's a nice rest stop and also has camping,not the back woods but for just a nights stop it's good. Easy I-5 exit and entrance.
If you have the extra days to do just some of the coast side of Olympic NP, from Kelso Wa.take Wa.state 4 west to US 101 north.It's a nice drive and if you have an interest this is the Lewis&Clark route and at the coast there is a interpretive center.North on 101 before you get to Aberdeen on Wa. 105 there are a couple SP campgrounds.Twin Harbors and Grayland.I have used Twin Harbors and the ocean side is nice.At Aberdeen you can follow 101 north along the ocean side of Olympic NP.There are a couple campgrounds a nice one is La Push you turn west at Forks and it's almost to the ocean.
If you are just driving north from a stop in Oregon,you can still go west at Kelso than at Aberdeen take US 12 and turn off at McCleary to Shelton than up through Bremerton and the route to Port Townsend for the ferry.
If you are short of time than I-5 to Olympia than take the route through Bremerton and just past Poulsbo is a nice Wa.SP campground,Kitsap Mem. SP.
After a night there it's just about 1/2 hour drive to Port Townsend where you can get the ferry to Whidbey Island.There are other state campgrounds in the Port Townsend area but I think they get filled fast.You can make a reservation for camping at the Wa. camps.
We did this on our way north to catch the ferry at Bellingham and it worked out great you miss all the Seattle traffic,plus Whidbey is a nice drive.
If you take the ferry at Port Townsend get a reservation,that ferry fills up fast plus I think they request one for trucks.When we used it we had a late morning spot but we got there early and were able to change it to the first one out.
Hope this didn't ramble and was of some help.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom