"Shear" Trouble

Jack

When I went to check the turnbuckles the other day, one was missing. I found it the well, along with the "eye" from the FWC :eek:. It had sheared off. The turnbuckle showed no deformation. I had assumed that the aluminum turnbuckle would fail first, but not so. We have been on some rough roads at times, but the last trip was all on paved roads, and it was on these roads that it failed.

To make matters worse, the jacks are up in Portland and we are now in LA. We will be back in Portland in December, but had planned to go to Saline Valley one or two times in October and November.

What's the word on running with 3 tie-downs? If I check the turnbuckles every hour or so on washboard roads, will I still be OK?

Has anybody replaced the tie-down bolts on an FWC (2006 Eagle)? I'll give FWC a call, but any do-it yourself experience would be helpful.
Sheared Eyebolt.jpg

I think this may have happened to Tomas Tierra, or at least partially. I think his bent but didn't break. Unfortunately i can't suggest a search term to locate the post. It's there somewhere, maybe he'll chime in. In the meantime, you might be able to find it. Pretty sure he replaced the damaged one(s) himself.

My left front tie-down failed the same way, also on paved roads. I think the biggest load these tie-downs see is when you meet a big truck on a 2 lane road. I'm pretty sure that is what did mine in. I replaced it with a U-bolt but now I have the bolt ends / nuts in the storage compartment - not an optimal solution. I'm trying to think up a better way before my right one goes too.

If you can get an eye bolt you should be able to install it with the help of another person. My thinking is if you can tie down the camper through the access hole you can put the new bolt in with the camper on. Marine supply places have forged eye bolts but even a non forged one is better than nothing. If your near The Nard PH Marine supply has the bolt. TT or Sunny can get you to them.

what side of the camper was it from ?

(passenger side or drivers side) ??

front or back ??

feel free to call me or Chicali in the AM and we can give you the scoop

It should be an easy fix

usually all you need is a screw driver and a pair of pliers I believe

we can mail you a new one

Orchard Supply Hardware usually has these, or a farm & tractor supply store (not sure if home depot would carry it?), you just have to know where to look in the store, they are pretty common

thanks

800-242-1442

==============================================================

When I went to check the turnbuckles the other day, one was missing. I found it the well, along with the "eye" from the FWC :eek:. It had sheared off. The turnbuckle showed no deformation. I had assumed that the aluminum turnbuckle would fail first, but not so. We have been on some rough roads at times, but the last trip was all on paved roads, and it was on these roads that it failed.

To make matters worse, the jacks are up in Portland and we are now in LA. We will be back in Portland in December, but had planned to go to Saline Valley one or two times in October and November.

What's the word on running with 3 tie-downs? If I check the turnbuckles every hour or so on washboard roads, will I still be OK?

Has anybody replaced the tie-down bolts on an FWC (2006 Eagle)? I'll give FWC a call, but any do-it yourself experience would be helpful.
View attachment 6473

Well, funny enough (or not) I discovered this had happened to me too while on an overnighter this weekend. Mine was also on the left front side. I'm quite certain it happened during my recent Utah trip (the White Rim most likely). After a quick call to Rich in the service dept at FWC he told me all I needed was an elevator bolt and a new eye. After a quick run to the local industrial supply center I had a new one and spare. Peeled the carpet up to retrieve the old bolt and popped in a new one. Didn't even need to take the camper off as I'd initially assumed I would. Elevator bolt: http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

Another post on this subject for reference:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1130/page__hl__elevator bolts__fromsearch__1

FYI DD, some seriously funny shiat happens when you edit posts, changes the whole format and paragraphs and generally screws everything up.

I noticed my front ones have a bit of a bend (out towards the sides to them) the other day, I plan to monitor to see if they are on the way to breaking or they just got tweaked a bit based on my turnbuckle geometry and that is the way they will stay put... Supposed getting a spare elevator bolt wouldn't hurt though. Sunman you know the factory size off hand?

Sunman you know the factory size off hand?

Pods,
It's 3/8" thread, I'm guessing the bolt is 2.0" to 2.5". A quick call to FWC service will get you an exact size.

I think the biggest load these tie-downs see is when you meet a big truck on a 2 lane road. I'm pretty sure that is what did mine in.

While I am sure the fairing you see in my avatar helps with gas milage ( simple aerodynamics ) what it has really done well is significantly reduced wind noise and almost totally eliminated the nasty buffeting you get when meeting those semis on two lane roads. I never thought about what that buffeting might do to the front eyebolts so now I am *really* glad I put it on.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1130/page__hl__Eye bolts__fromsearch__1

That is my post re Eye Bolts...FWC is now installing BIG backing plates on all the eye bolts..Maybe they should install forged eye bolts as well??

The intro picture to this thread sure looks familiar eh Sunman?? although when we found yours sheered off, it didn't wipe the smile off my face :D , nothing could have!

TT

I was short on time to hunt down the elevator bolts and eye nuts, so I had FWC ship them to me. Cost a bit over $20 ($10 or so for ship, handle + tax), but they come in pairs, so now I have a spare. Replacing the tie down was simple - unscrew the two boards on the bench and replace it.

I am now re-reading the threads on how to keep turnbuckles from loosening. :D

I am now re-reading the threads on how to keep turnbuckles from loosening. :D

Lock washer and wing nut on one side seems to work pretty well.

Four words: PITA

I don't think so. Next time I take the camper off, I'm planning to clean up my bolt through mounting. I expect the result will make for faster remounting using drift pins.

Top or bottom?

Whichever side has the normal right hand threads (the other half of the turn buckle has left hand threads), the top/bottom depends on which way you flip the turn buckle. ;)

Back
Top Bottom