Shell models - actual weight?

fireball

Greetings all,

We have a 2014 base model Hawk with a few add't items that we put on a flatbed trailer and tow around. The setup works great for us, but is a little heavy. I am wondering if folks could share the *ACTUAL* weight of a Hawk or Fleet shell camper.

We are considering both of these units and wonder how much weight saving would be.

According to the paperwork from FWC that came with our camper, the actual shipping weight when it left them was 1,192#. I believe that would've included the camper jacks, but am not sure?

FWC website lists shell models from 825-975# but I would like to hear some actual numbers from folks if possible please!

I have a new Fleet as of 5 weeks ago. The tag on the back says 900 pounds. It is a shell but has the battery box with 72 amp battery, one DC outlet, Fantastic roof fan and roof lift struts.

I attached a photo of the tag.

Attachments

• Fleet Tag.JPG
    Fleet Tag.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 299
I have a 2017 Fleet Shell with the 72 amp battery, battery box, roof struts, cushions, two little cubby boxes. My tag says 660 lbs. On the scale coming home, I figured the camper with jacks and battery was 860. Subtract out the jacks, that comes down to 760. I doubt the battery is over 50lbs. That brings it closer to 700. There is a small cabinet for the battery, cushions, no fan at time of purchase, otherwise, sounds the same as BillTheHiker's. The listed weight is probably pretty accurate for an empty shell. I wander why BillThehHikers is listed at 900.

The regular camper without water, food, clothing, jacks, awning, or roof solar panel is about 350 pounds more than the stripped shell model.

Our 2012 Eagle shell BASE weight was 595 pounds. Factory optioned out it weighed 1,000 pounds when received. We removed the jacks (100 pounds) added roof solar, cabinets, counter, sink, and portable compressor fridge. Now weighs 1,125 pounds.

The regular camper with stove, water system, cabinets, couch/dinette combination would weigh around 1,475 pounds

The tags on the campers are not usually correct.

When you purchase the camper, FWC should have given you essentially a bill of sale that listed the campers actual shipping weight. From what I've read, this is the actual shipping weight when it leaves their factory and if it has jacks attached then the jacks are part of that weight.

Here is a photo of the document from FWC. I would love to have others share what their number is or what an actual weight measurement is. This would help us make our decision on how much we'd gain by switching to a shell model and how much a Fleet vs. Hawk would change things.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip on the origin document, Fireball. My Statement of Origin lists shipping weight at 766 lbs. My Fleet, delivered on May 3, 2017, has the battery box with one battery, one DC outlet, roof struts, Fantastic fan and cushions.

Shipping weight, per the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, for our Hawk shell is 1,191lbs. The plate on the camper, with shell base weight, lists 925 lb. To the base shell, we added propane bottles and furnace, stovetop, side dinette, king size bed (so we can sleep north/south), jacks and aluminum plates, artic pack, roof struts, fantastic fan and extra roof vent, two AGM batteries, curtains, usb and 12v outlet, and roof tracks. I put airbags on my 2013 Tundra and had only 10 lb of air in them when I picked up the hawk shell and was surprised how little it squatted; maybe 1.5" on the heavier drivers side; less on the passenger side. It wasn't even squatted enough to level the suspension/truck; the back was still higher than the front.

With this set up, the driver's side is much heavier than the passenger side due to propane, furnace, stove, two batteries all being on the driver's side as is the Tundra gas tank. Sag on that side is about 1" more then the passenger side if I air both airbags to the same pressure, such as 15 lb.

But the setup is still light. Even with full gas tank, my wife and I, water jugs, tools, camping and cooking supplies, clothes, bedding, engel 45 fridge with food, and towing boat (200lb tongue weight) or 16 foot enclosed trailer, I only air up the drivers side airbag to 35 lb and passenger side to 15 lb to bring my fenders up to 39.5" which is 1" less than empty height. Really amazing how light these campers are.

Etav8r, is that per the plate on the camper, the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, or weighing your rig? Need that important piece of info when posting your weights.

Bastards! :LOL:
Aren't they obligated to put the actual weight on the plate?
Is there any idea how much it is usually over?
Why even put it on there if it isn't reliable?

When you receive a new camper, FWC writes the finished weight on the paperwork. My 2014 Hawk weighed 1481 lbs. The plate says 890 lb.
Mine has most options.

If you bought new, you should be able to call and ask for weight as shipped.
Paul

Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is the paperwork name with the true "as built" weight of your specific camper. That paperwork is what one uses to get title and/or a licence plate in those states that require it.

The plate on the camper goes on each model and is the base weight without options. As noted above my hawk shell plate says 925 lb. My Manufacturer's Statement of Origin has the actual weight which is 1,191 lb (My options list is in my previous post in this thread).

Chadx, I'd wager that the options you listed weigh more than 266 lbs, so I wouldn't trust the Statement of Origin paperwork either.

cwd

Back
Top Bottom